Question about fan speed controller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve Barker

Reaction score
I have this fan that I would like to install to ventilate a bathroom in my home:

It's an inline fan with a 1 amp motor. Brand is unknown. The label on the motor says: "single phase, thermally protected". I would like to be able to control the speed of the fan. I bought one of these:

It's a Lutron Ariadne AY2-LFSQ-IV. It has 1.5 amp fan speed controller. The instructions say to "set multispeed fans on the highest setting before installing the control" and "use AY2-LFSQ with a ceiling paddle fan only". Can anyone tell me whether this speed control will be OK to use with the above fan? If not, what kind of speed control should I use? I want to make sure that I do not create a fire risk, and that I do not burn out the motor or controller due to incompatibility.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Unless it is already a "variable speed motor", which is not likely since it does not have a speed controller, you probably cannot do it. You do NOT have a "ceiling paddle fan" so that controller should not be used with your fan.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks like an inline Hurricane fan to me. This is what it says in there: frequently Asked Questions
♦ How do I control Hurricane Fans?
Each Hurricane fan is unique in its indivdual controls. The controls for Hurricane Classic and Supreme wall mount fans, floor fans, stand fans and clip fans are located on the units and are simple to use. The Hurricane Super 8 Fan can be programmed and operated with the buttons on the control panel, or with the included remote control. For Hurricane Centrifugal Inline Fans and the After Burner Mixed Flow Fans, we recommend using Titan Controls Fan Speed & Ventilation Controllers.

http://www.hurricane-fans.com/page/faq

Steve Barker

Reaction score
I thought almost any fan could be speed controlled? There are so many different options: triac, variac, variable frequency drive, etc. I was just asking which controller to use with my fan.

Steve Barker

Reaction score
It looks like an inline Hurricane fan to me. This is what it says in there: frequently Asked Questions
♦ How do I control Hurricane Fans?
Each Hurricane fan is unique in its indivdual controls. The controls for Hurricane Classic and Supreme wall mount fans, floor fans, stand fans and clip fans are located on the units and are simple to use. The Hurricane Super 8 Fan can be programmed and operated with the buttons on the control panel, or with the included remote control. For Hurricane Centrifugal Inline Fans and the After Burner Mixed Flow Fans, we recommend using Titan Controls Fan Speed & Ventilation Controllers.

http://www.hurricane-fans.com/page/faq

Thanks! I sent an email to Hurricane and Titan to find out which controller to use with my fan.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks