Question about drain pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

pcary@bw.edu

Reaction score
Hi there - I'm trying to eliminate leaks under a reinstalled bathroom vanity. There's one slowly leaking joint, just inside the back wall of the vanity, where the PVC under the sink goes into black plastic that I assume is ABS. I have not taken this joint apart and I'm wondering whether it is likely a threaded joint or a glued one (or something else). It's the joint in the background of the attached photo. Should I try unscrewing the PVC pipe or is it more difficult than that?

Thanks,

Paul (homeowner)
pcary@bw.edu

Attachments

• IMG_6294.JPG
    IMG_6294.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 305

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Try to screw it on a little tighter. Righty tighty, lefty loosey. Your hand should be sufficient enough to give it the necessary tightness it needs.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Hi there - I'm trying to eliminate leaks under a reinstalled bathroom vanity. There's one slowly leaking joint, just inside the back wall of the vanity, where the PVC under the sink goes into black plastic that I assume is ABS. I have not taken this joint apart and I'm wondering whether it is likely a threaded joint or a glued one (or something else). It's the joint in the background of the attached photo. Should I try unscrewing the PVC pipe or is it more difficult than that?

Thanks,

Paul (homeowner)
pcary@bw.edu

Sometimes people over tighten the plastic nuts and over crimp the plastic compression washer. When ever I get a call for leaks on sink drain pipes, I just take it all apart and replace each compression washer, and tighten each nut till they stop then a quarter turn. Also drain cleaners can ruin these plastic traps, they make so much heat that they get deformed just best to get a new P trap assembly and replace it.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Why don't you take a picture from further back showing everything. Might have some good ideas for you on how to make this better.

IMG_6294.jpg

pcary@bw.edu

Reaction score
Question about drain pipes: more photos

OK, thanks for the help. I'm attaching two more photos: one from further back that shows the whole drain system and another from the other side of the PVC to ABS joint. One other thing that doesn't work great is the "reducer" from the sink pipe to the next pipe down. The white pipe tends to slide off the black pipe (but only when I'm messing with it).

Thanks,

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_6333.jpg
    IMG_6333.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_6334.JPG
    IMG_6334.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 268

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
More turns than necessary. They took the scenic route.

I know you can't glue PVC to ABS. Not sure about threaded connections though.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
All of those are slip joint fittings.
It's easy to disassemble and to reassemble.

Once you have it apart, you can check to see if the slip joint washers are in good shape. They should be round circles, not broken.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks