Question about brass check valves...

Users who are viewing this thread

Huntersdad

Reaction score
Hi. My parents and I live in two separate houses on the same property. The well water comes up from the submersible tank into their basement and then it comes over to my house. We have intermittent problems with the water. At my parents request, I've changed the well pump, quadrupled the size of the pressurized holding tank, and changed the pressure switch. My question is do the brass check valves like the one in my pic below go bad or can they get "gunked up" with hard water deposits? I see that this one has the air stem but our system uses a pressurized holding tank so this fitting is useless, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
submersible tank into their basement
If you meant that the water comes up from the submersible pump into their basement, then good.

In that case, it would be better to not have a checkvalve there at all. The only one you would have ideally would be at the pump. That way if there is a tiny leak in the drop pipe or if you have the old drain back valve still in the drop pipe, the pressure tank can keep the line pressurized -- just running the pump on occasion to compensate for the leak. If the pump runs often, you would get the leak fixed.

The next time that you replace the pressure switch, or maybe before, it would be better to switch to a brass nipple.

Regarding gunked up check valves, I don't have experience. I know the path to gauges and pressure switches can get gunked up. I wonder if there is a way to remove the check valve innards and just use that housing as a manifold for the pressure gauge and pressure switch.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
The spring can break in those check valves but it's pretty rare.

I'm more inclined to think that the steel nipple under the pressure switch is plugged up. Steel and brass don't get along well and we see this problem quite often.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I also would replace the nipple on the pressure switch with a 1/4 X 3 brass nipple. But if the tee to the other house is prior to this tank the check valve or at least the guts to the check valve should be removed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks