Question about an icemaker

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a question about my icemaker. It is making ice right now at a rapid rate. In the summer, it makes none.

Just wondering, why, it is in the winter, or the cold temps, it makes it so fast, of course, since we are all freezing, we don't need it or want it.

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Ground temperature affects incoming cold water entering the icemaker.

Probably a temperature swing of 20 degrees.

If your fridge is in a tight space where it can't properly ventilate.....this can greatly affect how hot it gets back behind there. If it is open in the room, this won't apply.

I'm sure this question is going to lead to the mpemba effect. I'm taking a break from this one. It's been exhausted on too many forums for me to even compile thoughts again on the subject matter.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
icemaker

The icemaker is an independent thinker. It fills with the water from your pipe, regardless of its temperature. Then the freezer chills it until the ice freezes. Once the ice freezes, an internal thermometer realizes that the ice cube is the same temperature as the freezer, or close to it about 14 degrees, meaning the cubes are frozen. Then it turns on a circuit that harvests the cubes. The incoming water temperature is not a factor because it is cooled down within minutes of entering the tray. BUT, the temperature of the freezer is VERY critical, because if it does not chill the cubes to the proper temperature the harvest cycle will never occur, or will occur only once in a while when you have not opened the door for a while. The solution is to set the freezer to a lower temperature and make sure the condensing coil is not full of dust.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks