Quarter turn plug

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by SamC, Feb 13, 2008.

1. SamC

SamC Member

I have one of those drain plugs in my tub that is attached to the drain. A quarter turn lets it drop down to plug the drain. The drain gets loaded up with hair from time to time. Is there a way to get that plug off to clean out the drain?
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

It unscrews. On some, there is a setscrew on the little knob. On others, you put it down to the "closed" position, then turn the know CCW to unscrew.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

plug

Most are removable once you unscrew the lift knob from the plug. But others have setscrews that are almost, if not completely, inaccessible making removal very difficult.
  4. SamC

SamC Member

Thanks much. It had a Phillips head screw, just visible under the rim. With the plug removed I was able to quickly clear the drain of hair and soap buildup with a pair of needle-nose pliers. Thanks again.