Quandary

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Viking, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Viking

Viking New Member

When the plumber ran the dwv for my bathroom additions, one appears to have been set at 11.5 inches from the finish wall rather than 12. I believe most two piece toilets have enough Clarence in back of the tank that this should not be an issue, but it looks like the Toto brand has a much tighter Clarence. Am I correct? If so, are there other units that you would recommend, short of a 10 inch rough? Thanks much for any info.
  2. Viking

Viking New Member

s/b clearance, not Clarence.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Other than asthetics, you don't need any clearance behind a toilet. Many of the Totos have around 3/4" and some have a lot more. Plus, there's usually a little bit of fudge when setting a toilet - 1/4" is generally easy to get. Keep in mind, the measurement is to the wall, not the baseboard, if that makes a difference.
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Both Drake and Dartmouth are set on 12" (exactly) rough-n. Each of them have about 2" "clarence" behind the tank. You'll be fine with 11-1/2". The problem very well could have be because there is a floor joist that prevents the 12" rough-in so they set it as close as possible.
  5. Viking

Viking New Member

Yes, it was due to the floor joist location.