Quality....?

Users who are viewing this thread

Alan Muller

Reaction score
OK, it's pretty clear that Toto is a high-quality manufacturer, and American Standard, as least with the mass-marked Cadet, etc, is marginal.

Seems to me that Am Std and Kohler have both had way too many issues in recent years with design, material selection, and manufacturing quality control. They've become sort of the General Motors of the toilet world. (I'm not saying all their products are bad...)

What about Eljer, Mansfield, Crane, Gerber, etc? (I know many of these have been bought up by A/S.) But have any of them managed to maintain quality in their mass-market lines?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
LOL Do you think their quality has improved since they joined the Mexican Standard Family? :rolleyes:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Gerber has been bought by Globe Union of China.
So production has moved there too.

Crane, Eljer and American Standard were bought out by the same investment firm. All three are under new management.

So let me think, who has the longest running management in the business.
Oh yeah, TOTO has always been the oldest plumbing company in the world, and the largest.
They have barely scratched the surface here in the US.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I watched a spot on TV last night about Dave Chappelle who has a severe phobia of germs and he has a Toto Neorest with automatic lid lift and bidet and all the other bells and whistles...he said he paid $6,000.00 to have it installed...

neorest_550.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan Muller

Reaction score
Well, I would think the question is not so much where the stuff is made--of course, that matters for other reasons--as how serious the (wholesale) buyer is about quality control. Chinese or Mexican shops can and will make consistent china if the buyer doesn't accept bad product.

Probably the "home depot" type high-volume buyers hammer the vendors on price and are getting the price/quality ratio that satisfies them.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks