Quality multi-function handheld showerhead with pause function

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by NikiLC, Apr 11, 2014.

1. NikiLC

NikiLC New Member

Hello all,

I may be asking for the impossible, but... I am looking for the "perfect" handheld showerhead & would appreciate your thoughts & advice.

These are the characteristics I am hoping for in a handheld:
    * Multi-function that would include a massaging function and also a directed/focused spray that would be good for washing dogs.
    * The ability to temporarily pause the spray from the showerhead - for soaping the kid, dog, etc.
    * High quality, but light enough to be functional when using as a handheld.
    * The shape of the handle is comfortable to hold for small to large hands.
    * The head itself is not so large/heavy/unbalanced as to make it unwieldy.
    * Low water usage but strong flow.
    * Comes in brushed nickel that does not have a slight yellowish tint (to me Delta & Hansgrohe's brushed/satin nickel are on the "warmer"/yellowish end of the spectrum).

Thoughts & recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

#2 would normally be a no-no, because a "pause" could turn in to a full time shut off which would cause all kinds of problems elsewhere in the plumbing system. Some of the other requirements are contradictory.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  3. NikiLC

NikiLC New Member

Sorry, I don't think I used the right terminology with the word pause. I am glad there are folks who do, but I don't understand the technical aspects at all.

I did do more research and found there is an American with Disabilities Act guideline that "to be ADA accessible, hand-held showers should include a non-positive shut-off control which turns off the flow of water using a control on the actual hand—held shower". So far I found the Kohler Forte hand held meets the guideline.

It's not surprising that some items on my perfect handheld wishlist are contradictory - what can I say, I want it all. :} Could you help me out in understanding the ones that I should give up on?

Thanks!!
  4. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Yep Kohler Forte 10286, but it doesn't come in the color you want.

Also K-10343 comes in brushed nickel.

I think there is a lot of confusion on amateur and DIY sites about what 'non positive" means in this context.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  5. NikiLC

NikiLC New Member

Thanks. I will check it out.
  6. NikiLC

NikiLC New Member

WJCandee, I should have asked - can you clarify what non-positive means for this situation?

Thanks again.