Quality Fill Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

GGorman04

Reaction score
I currently have a fluidmaster that needs replacing. Any better piece I should look into?
Thanks in advance
George

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Once you put in the Korky, it is unlikely you will ever need to replace it. Instead, it has all the wear parts in a quarter-sized cap which costs $3 and can be replaced in 30 seconds. So, five years from now, it's a 30-second repair. It's also quiet and easy to install. The 528MP is the most universal. We have 7 toilets and 7 Korky fill valves in them, with no issues since I installed them.

Are you sure you need to replace your fill valve? What's the symptom you are addressing?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most Fluidmasters also have a quick and easy replacement for the sealing device. The Fluidmaster tends to shut off quicker, and depending on your water pressure and piping, can create noises when it shuts off. The Korky Quietfill shuts off much less abruptly. The Fluidmaster uses an external moving float; the Korky uses an internal one that can't get caught on anything.

Either one should work a long time without requiring any maintenance unless you are say on a well with sand or other particulates that can mess with a seal, or you chlorinate your own water, which may put higher levels than a typical public system.

Reaction score
I'd reccomend the good old Coast Mark IV or Master 1B1. These fill valves are indestructible. I'm at a condo in Panama City Beach, Florida right now, and I'm three minutes from the Coast factory.

GGorman04

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations. Symptoms are it takes way too long to refill the tank. There is no leak at the flapper

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Korky 528MP allows you to adjust the bowl refill, which means you aren't dumping water needlessly down the bowl, but instead concentrating on tank refill. Sometimes that means saving two or more gallons on the refill.

The Fluidmaster 400A can waste gallons of water.
Updated 2021, Fluidmaster now has the upgraded Performax valve that lets you adjust the bowl refill.

index.php

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Consistent with the recommendations in that link, they left out one bullet point for some reason:
  • Shut off water supply, unscrew coupling nut, unscrew mounting nut, remove and discard #242 seal and 400A fill valve, install Korky 528MP fill valve i/a/w manufacturer's recommendations.

Reach4

Reaction score
Consistent with the recommendations in that link, they left out one bullet point for some reason:
  • Shut off water supply, unscrew coupling nut, unscrew mounting nut, remove and discard #242 seal and 400A fill valve, install Korky 528MP fill valve i/a/w manufacturer's recommendations.

You are quite the disciple. :) Don't you think that nature of the symptom is quite compatible with some debris that can be washed out rather than a shortcoming of the unit.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
You are quite the disciple. :) Don't you think that nature of the symptom is quite compatible with some debris that can be washed out rather than a shortcoming of the unit.

Yeah, maybe. I was just goofin' around, but I have to say that Fluidmaster certainly doesn't write its instructions for the novice. In contrast, the latest Korky video is super-detailed about the teensiest things, like to reinstall the R528 cap you should point the nipple a 3 o'clock, push down, and then turn right, and to be careful that you don't unlock the thing. Doubtless as a result of fielding questions from the really-clueless, but I appreciate their effort.

On the other hand, any number of youtube handy-hack "experts" put the stupidest stuff in their videos. I just watched one replace a fill valve and say that it was set to shut off at the right place when it shut off as the water just began to run over the top of the overflow riser. It turned off, water sloshed down the riser, and the valve held. Oy. Another person who clearly never bothered to read the directions.

We're really only guessing here when all we have is "it's running slowly". But if he decides to replace it, I'm plainly a fan of this choice, mostly for its simplicity in installation and repair.

Reach4

Reaction score
starting at 2:40 tells how to pop that top piece off.

Last edited by a moderator:

SamC

Reaction score
Another vote for the Korky 528MP. There are several fill valves available that provide control of the refill ratio, but the Korky has a nice quarter-turn valve that is very precise.

GGorman04

Reaction score
Anyone know where to get the $3 repair kit for Korky?
I did not find at Home Depot or Lowes

528_cap_in.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Anyone know where to get the $3 repair kit for Korky?
I did not find at Home Depot or Lowes
Try searching for R528CM on the HD site. If you tell them which store you use, they will tell you which Aisle and Bay to find that Toilet Fill Valve Replacement Cap at the store. It's $4.

528_cap_in.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I do not know why Lowes stopped carrying it, but my local HD does, as would almost any decent plumbing supply house and many hardware stores. They're cheap enough so that I try to have a spare one sitting around rather than making a special trip to the store. If you can wait a couple of days, you can also buy it on a store.

Reaction score
image.jpg

This is slightly off the topic of fill valves, but not too much. I just got a new toilet - a 1959 Kohler Wellworth. After the typical cleaning and clearing out the calcium buildup, I set off to find some new parts for it. I put a Korky adjustable flapper and a 528 fill valve in (I had those lying around), and it works perfect. Later, we had to go to Wal-Mart to get my dad a new phone. While I was there, I looked at the toilet parts. I had just enough money to get a Fluidmaster 400A PerforMAX and an Adjust-A-Flush 502 flapper. I get them installed, and the flapper just won't cooperate. Setting 3 closes far too early, and settings 4-9 all empty the tank completely. Frustrated, I put the Korky stuff back and

GGorman04

Reaction score
Sorry to respond so late but I appreciate the help
The home depot 30 miles away had it in stock

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks