Qest piping q&a

Users who are viewing this thread

hondatech

Reaction score
Another dreded quest topic.
Well I have a few questions. Maybe really only one or two. If I decide to replace my qest piping what would be the best replacement? I have well water if that plays a roll. What kind of money would I be expecting to dish out if I did it myself as i have some plumbing experience. I have a rancher home with a crawl space.
If I wait to replace my nightmare in lets say a year whats the best repair item to use, pex,sharkbite?

Thank you in advance to any answers and advise you may give.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
IMO Pex lends itself very well to a repipe and is the least intrusive compared to Copper and CPVC. Well water can often be an issue with copper and water quality should be a consideration. Often PEx can be attached to the old Poly-Butylene and pulled into position. If you are considering a DIYer installation My recommendation would be using this system. As far as tool costs and easy installation it is a no-brainer for the DIYer. Check this video link.

One tool will work on all sizes and Raven Products #PCT tool is available at many plumbing supply houses for around $50. http://www.ravenproducts.us/tools.htm#tools

Sharkbites are an acceptable transition between PEX and Poly-Butylene but plumbing a whole house using them would be cost prohibative.

Last edited by a moderator:

hondatech

Reaction score
That tool and clamp is very similar to one that is used on cv boot clamps. Yes that is very easy for a diy'er. Thanks im gonna save this for future reference.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks