PVC Venting and condensation line

Discussion in 'Tankless Water Heater Forum' started by PlumbingHelpme, Dec 30, 2010.

1. PlumbingHelpme

PlumbingHelpme New Member

I'm thinking of getting a Bosch C 1050 ES LP condensing tankless water heater. It is recommended that if the PVC exhaust is longer than 6' horizontal that you have a condensation drain in the exhaust vent. The length is going to be closer to 15'

The only condensation drains I've seen for 3" venting are stainless steel.

Can I use pvc snap T to make one ? and am I correct that the trap that the drain is connected to is what prevents the exhaust from coming through the drain ?

Or are you supposed to connect the PVC to the stainless steel condensation drain units.

Thanks
    Jason
  2. Tom the Apprentice

Tom the Apprentice New Member

To my knowledge, you could use Stainless steel or PVC venting (Type "BH")
    In Canada, it's certified to CSA 636 for use in venting. As for keeping the exhaust (Products of combustion) from coming through the drain, a trap is used. This way, the water seal in the trap will not allow the carbon dioxide in the products of combustion to enter the living space.
    Check the owners' manual to make sure the unit will allow the length of vent you are proposing.

Hope this helps!
    -Tom