PVC tub spout nipple?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Can PVC schedule 40 be used for a threaded tub spout nipple? I have been struggling to stop leaks coming from a copper nipple that I made from sweat fittings and 1/2" copper pipe. I believe I have traced the leaks to damaged (prior to my purchasing) male threads on the copper male adapter.

I sorted through most of a box of threaded male adapters in Home Depot, and they were all damaged. My theory is when they were shipped from China, they were at the bottom of a 10 foot high stack of boxes. The weight and vibration during shipping garbaged up the threads. I was looking for a cast bronze x sweat threaded male adapter, because I thought this would give me a better chance at having higher quality threads.

I want to use PVC threaded male adapters, solvent welded to 1/2" PVC pipe. Is this OK? I want to to this route because I know the threads will be good, and I am more confident I can get the nipple length exactly right to ensure the proper fit. I am less confident with this process with copper.

Thanks for any replies.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd get a brass fitting. I know around here, HD has a variety of brass fittings in individual plastic hang bags on their display. I'd want metal to the spout.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pvc

Not a good idea. The plastic could snap if you hit or grab the spout. Use the proper length brass nipple, or two short nipples and a coupling if you have a problem with the exact length, and you don't have to worry about leaks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks