PVC transition to Cast Iron

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by GoVolz, May 31, 2014.

1. GoVolz

GoVolz New Member

I'm remodeling my bathroom and extending the shower 6 feet further left if the picture and the toilet 3 feet left of it's current location. My idea is to cut just left of the cast iron vent in and between the toilets transition piece and connect with a similar size pvc pipe. And basically extend it in the same direction as the way the current cast iron is by extending it 5 feet or so. Leave a clean out at the end just as the cast iron has and tie in the new shower location and toilet location. Is this logical or is there a better way. Also I'm assuming I will have to tie in a new vent since the shower and toilet are further from the stack. Is thag correct? Your help is appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The shower vents within five feet, and the toilet within six feet.

[​IMG]

A shielded coupling like these to prevent the pipe from shifting.
    I would measure the OD of the cast. If it's Something like 4-1/8" or 3-1/8" you will need a copper size on one end.
    Most new cast and plastic is the pipe size plus 3/8"

The shower drain should be 2"
  3. GoVolz

GoVolz New Member

Well the toilet should be fine as far as venting, when I move the toilet from it's current location in the picture it will be less then 6 feet from the stack. But the shower will be further then the toilet. Roughly 7-8 feet from the stack. So wouldn't I still need to tie a new vent for the shower into the stack.
  4. GoVolz

GoVolz New Member

The two pictures are the current plumbing set up. The new toilet and shower will be extended further left.
  5. GoVolz

GoVolz New Member

I appreciate your help terry. I'll be sure to get the couplings you mentioned.
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Yes, you may need to bring that vent back and tie in.
  7. GoVolz

GoVolz New Member

Ok thank you for our help. That helps me understand better.