PVC to Cast Iron for toilet drain

How should I connect the new PVC pipe?

• Use a shielded 4" Fernco coupling to a PVC 4" to 3" reducer, then 3" PVC pipe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pass 3" PVC pipe through a 3" to 4" reducing coupling

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Your incredible solution.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Soparklion

Reaction score
I had a broken toilet flange. I cut off the old lead drain pipe, leaving a 1.5" stub before the cast iron fitting. How should I connect the new PVC pipe? I tried to link pics of the possible solutions.
  1. Use a shielded 4" Fernco coupling to a PVC 4" to 3" reducer, then 3" PVC pipe. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1-QkdGOP6LNWU1oeFhyd25SZnM/view?usp=sharing
  2. Pass 3" PVC pipe through a 3" to 4" reducing coupling, extending deeper into the Iron Pipe. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1-QkdGOP6LNWG16YXpqZzVNZTQ/view?usp=sharing
  3. Your incredible solution.
Thank you and God bless.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
replace_lead_bend.jpg

I drill, pry, remove the lead from the cast hub, use a rubber insert, they have them in several sizes. I pick up a few and use the one that fits the best.
This is a 4" hub to a 4x3 flush bush, then 3" pipe to 4x3 spigot closet flange that takes a 4" hub closet flange.

Soparklion

Reaction score
Terry - I greatly appreciate your advice. But is the drilling and prying to remove the existing stub necessary/worthwhile?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks