pvc thru metal studs

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by sulconst2, Oct 21, 2005.

1. sulconst2

sulconst2 New Member

installing pvc vents thru metal studs. using greenlee knockout tool to get nice holes. do i need to protect the pipe at the cut? grommet? if yes what kind?
    thanks
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

What are the pipes being used for? I didn't think Greenlee made a punch for 1 1/2" and 2" pipes, but I hope you are not using the PVC for water lines.
  3. sulconst2

sulconst2 New Member

2" vents for new 3/4 bath. kit has 2 1/2 round punch which works nice for 2" pvc. no burrs at all. thought maybe some kind of grommet is used for this application? water lines to be 3/4 copper dropped to 1/2. here i can use the plastic (ear) hangers screwed to metal stud.
  4. sulconst2

sulconst2 New Member

any input for a protecting 2" pvc vent pipe thru metal studs?
  5. RioHyde

RioHyde Plumber

I put PVC through metal studs all the time with no grommets or other type of protection. Though you'll get scratches on the PVC you'll be hard pressed to actually compromise the integrity of the piping. There are grommets for copper to be used when installing through metal studs. These grommets take a 1-3/8" hole if memory serves. I just use a stud punch for these so I may be off on that measurement.
  6. sulconst2

sulconst2 New Member

thanks for the help!