PVC Shower Drain help!

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by squbbles, May 26, 2014.

1. squbbles

squbbles New Member

Replaced my old shower with new acrylic base and surround. New base is slightly higher, thus drain pipe does not come up quite as high.

My question is, can I trim the thick rubber gasket that slips onto the drain pipe before installing the plastic compression ring? I tried installing it as is, but the top half of the rubber seal simply folds over the top of the pipe once ring is installed leaving a smaller opening to the drain pipe.

Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance for all your expertise.
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
  2. dhagin

dhagin builder:anti-builder

Cut the 2" riser down with an inside pipe cutter, available at the local hardware of box store, install a coupling, then install a new riser that is the correct height. :)
  3. squbbles

squbbles New Member

Thanks dhagin. I appreciate the advice.

Is this the only option? I'm not sure that a coupling will fit through the drain body.

Also, I read that some people use silicone caulk to help the rubber gasket slip down the pipe and help with creating a good seal. Is this necessary?

Cheers.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If you have already installed the pan and no longer have access to the p-trap, then you may not have much choice. It's too late to do the proper thing anymore.
    They also make a lead packing that may work. I don't look at Silicone for that as being a proper installation. I guess you can try it, but I've never resorted to that.