PVC schedule

Users who are viewing this thread

lemains

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry if this question is stupid.. but I am kind of new to this, but learning.

As I understand all PVC has a maximum service temperature of 140° F

Two questions:

1. Does this apply to all PVC regardless the wall thickness? It wouldn't make sense, right?

A 0.413 wall should resist more temperature than a 0.173 wall.... right?

2. Are the the SDR series PVC and the Schedule 40 PVC made of the same material? Or one of them is more resistant to temperature than the other?

link: http://www.harvel.com/pipepvc-sch40-80-dim.asp

Thanks a lot,

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
I thoght you could go to 160 degrees before needing to switch to cast or another type of metal. Sorry I can't give you concrete answer.:confused:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There is some absolute temp number which is "not to ever go there" for PVC. I don't know that number. But any schedule of PVC pipe has a temperature vs. pressure spec. For schedule 40, max temp allowed for 150 PSI is 73º, which is why it falls outside the range of household use.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pvc

The thicker material will take longer to heat up, but once it does it will have the same problems as the thinner pipe. SDR is just a very, very thin pipe and because it is a drain material, the inside diameter MUST conform to the i.d. of sch. 40 pipes which might interconnect with it. Because of the thinner wall that means the o.d. is smaller than sch. 40 pipe and requires an adapter bushing to match the other pipe's o.d.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks