PVC repair irrigation water supply line from the street

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by themp, Apr 27, 2011.

1. themp

themp Member

I have a straight 1 inch PVC line from the water meter that got cracked in the middle of the yard. Since I have no flex in the line, unless I dig up a large portion of the line, what is the best way to repair this? I looked at a 1 inch PVC union and it would seem I have to be very exact on getting the two union faces tight because I have no flex that can allow the two sides to move in tighting up the union. My other thought is to just use a flexible 1 inch line and clamps. Or I have to make four 90 degree turns to allow the pipe to flex at the union. Like a large U in the line with the union at the bottom of the U. And this supply line is at 90psi from the city.

Any other tricks?

Thanks, Tom
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Or.................use the four 90's without the union.
    Point the first set of 90's the same direction, and then drop the length of pipe with the street 90's into the waiting 90's.

If you have room in the ditch, you could also use two 90's for the connection.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  3. themp

themp Member

That is a good trick!

I never was three dimensional...
  4. Stormrider49

Stormrider49 New Member

Since it is PVC, why not use a slip-fix repair coupling?
  5. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Yep! Slip repair couplings work great on irrigation lines.