PVC P-trap to Metal drain pipe??

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by bellacielo, Jun 30, 2007.

1. bellacielo

bellacielo New Member

I have a mid-1970s home where we have totally renovated the kitchen. The plumber cut off the drain pipe and water supply valves and capped them off leaving them without threads for easy cabinet installation. After 3 months without a kitchen sink, I decided to tackle the problem myself.

I bought all PVC pieces and have connected the disposal and other drain to the P-Trap without a hitch. My problem is that the marvel connector which is supposed to fit 1-1/2" pipes works fine for the PVC portion, but it is too big on the end that connects to the metal drain pipe coming out of the wall.

The O.D. for the metal pipe is 1-5/8" , so the PVC extension compression pipe (for 1-1/2" pipes) won't fit both of them either. Is there a such a thing as a compression connector for this case and measurements or will it HAVE to be sweated/threaded (I don't have the tools for that.)??
  2. markts30

markts30 Commercial Plumber

Post a pic please...
    Then we can help a lot easier...
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pipe

If it is 1 5/8" then it is either 1 1/4" steel, which is not likely, or copper, which requires a different Marvel connector.
  4. GrumpyPlumber

GrumpyPlumber Licensed Grump

1-1/2" copper - sweat a scully adaptor and put a female PVC adapter on it - USE DOPE...then glue away.
    If it's steel, try to see if it ties into cast iron inside the wall, if so it's likey threaded in and can be turned loose. It WILL be a tight fit...pipe wrenches are a good idea and will likely need a "cheat bar", a large diameter pipe (steel) that can fit over the pipe wrench, for leverage. Once out, you can use a male threaded adaptor from the cast iron tapped tee in the wall.
    IF it's steel and the above mentioned isn't an option, last resort, mission clamp (they're ugly, but they do the trick when all else fails).
    If your plumber has blown you off for 3 months...shame on him!
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

trap

lf it is 1 1/2" a brass male Marvel connector will solder onto it and then the trap will slide into it.
  6. Cass

Cass Plumber

If it is copper coming out of the wall you can use a SS banded coupling that is specifically made to transition from copper to PVC.
  7. GrumpyPlumber

GrumpyPlumber Licensed Grump

OK...I was gonna ask, but thats my answer...we call them "Scully bushings" here.
    I was thinking of this topic today...used one to adapt a lav/vanity replace to the old 1-1/2" copper stub.
    I like them better than mission/no hub clamps (SS banded coupling, Cass..? terminology differs state to state), because they look much neater, the transition from copper to PVC is less bulky, no nuts,clamps or extrusions.