PVC p-trap leaking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Walkman

Reaction score
I'm getting a slight leak where the tailpiece joins the j-bend. The diagram on the packaging doesn't show a washer in this location - it's just plastic on plastic. Do I need to tighten more, or use some kind of sealant?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Loosen the other slip joints, and then go back and tighten the swivel first.

The swivel gets snugged up first, and then you can tighten the other two.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you need a washer, regardless of what any diagram shows. I've seen wall tubes (trap outlet tubes) that had molded-in round
edges to match the mating end of the J-bend, but never any such thing where the tailpiece gets connected. Just to make sure we're on the
same page, the "tailpiece" is the vertical tube piece that gets connected directly to the sink outlet.

Walkman

Reaction score
I was referring to the tailpiece as the PVC part that goes into the drain pipe in the wall. I did as Terry suggested and the leak stopped.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The tailpiece is the pipe that comes down from the sink into the trap. The piece to the wall is a "wall bend". When you give the wrong name, we can only assume you know what you are talking about and give an answer to that.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Although this will cause wailing and gnashing of teeth, I sometimes put plumbers putty in the groove of the swivel. Not too much.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks