PVC or Cast Iron to repair waste pipe. Please Help

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by xami714, Feb 20, 2009.

1. xami714

xami714 New Member

This photo is of the ceiling below the bathroom. I removed the cracked waste line about three inches from main waste stack. I assumed i would break lead seal and replace with rubber boot ( i apologize if thats not the right term) and replace broken pipe with PVC. It was suggested to me that the best fix would be to replace what was there which I assume that means working with lead which means bringing in a plumber. I don't mind the expense. I want it done right

Attached Files:

2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Millions of homes have pvc pipes, and they work well. What you'll potentially notice is if you convert to pvc there, the pvc will be noisier. If that is an issue, then pay to have it replaced with CI. It isn't that much noisier, but it depends on the construction. If that area underneath isn't something like a bedroom or the living room, no big deal - do it yourself with pvc.

To make the transition, you have two choices...remove the CI pipe from the hub and use a donut (Fernco makes some) with the pvc inserted in the middle, or use a no-hub banded connector on the existing stub of CI. This is a neoprene rubber sleeve with metal reinforcement band around it, anchored with hose clamps. The all rubber ones can't be legally used except underground.

Both are 'right' by code, would work well, and last a long time.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

stub

There is no "cast iron stub". It is a tapered brass wiping ferrule.
  4. xami714

xami714 New Member

Thanks

Thanks for the help gentlemen.What i learned is worth as much as i saved.