PVC joint not square, will it leak?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bsperr

Reaction score
I just glued up the branch drain from my washing machine into the main drain underneath my house. I came down from the washing machine with a 45 degree offset into a Wye on the end of my main drain. The pipe from the washing machine would have sat square in the hub of the wye if the wye were level, but due to the slope of the drain it's a couple of degrees off. Is this normal, or could it potentially leak? If there's a better way to do this, I'd like to redo it now before I glue the rest of the drain up. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_1225.jpg
    IMG_1225.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 668
Last edited:

Bsperr

Reaction score
I was also thinking that I could come off the branch drain from the washing machine with another 45 degree offset into a combo on the main drain. Would this be a better arrangement, or would it have the same problems? How would the pros do it?

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
I don't think it will leak. Normal glue up is done by keeping the pipe square to the fitting, when you get to your final hook-up you kink the joint to be plumb or level and hold until the glue starts to set up.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
When you "glue" PVC, or ABS, or any plastic pipe you're actually solvent welding. This means that the piping materials actually melt togeather making a pretty strong seal. So unless it's really cock-eyed I'd guess that the joint won't leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks