PVC drain pipe and fitting in Southern California?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Antonio4791, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Antonio4791

Antonio4791 New Member

Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can buy PVC drain fittings and pipe in the Los Angeles area? Seems like a common item, but no one here seems sells it, not even the two plumbing supply places I tried.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Why do you want PVC. In the Southwest, including CA, ABS is almost a de facto material to use.
  3. Antonio4791

Antonio4791 New Member

I have no strong preference for using PVC vs ABS, I am just wondering why it is not used at all in southern CA. There is nothing wrong with PVC, and as far as I can tell from looking at the code books, it is allowed in CA. Many people and books consider it to be the preferred material for DWV. The real reason it bothers me is that I ordered a Kerdi shower kit with PVC drain. Afterwards, I discover that no one in CA sells the fittings or pipe for it. I know I know, should have done my homework. But it is such a common item in other areas, I just assumed it was common here. It would be like and electrician discovering, "we don't use copper wire here, only aluminum". It's just strange to me, and I see no logical, scientific, legal, or code reason why CA and the southwest shouldn't use it.
  4. Yersmay

Yersmay Writing, constructionDIY Member

Try contacting Aqua-Flo Supply. They are located at 11520 Jefferson Blvd. #100 in Culver City, CA. Phone is 310 915-5208. They have every fitting and pipe size imaginable.
  5. Antonio4791

Antonio4791 New Member

Thanks Yersmay. I called Aqua-Flo. They do not have PVC DWV fittings and pipe for indoor use. They have it only for drainage and irrigation purpose. I spoke with Jim there and he said ABS is required by code. I just read the section in the CA code book and it says PVC can be used. But that is only the state code. Many cities in the LA area I'm guessing have additionial codes excluding PVC..... Still this is baffling to me. It's like finding out that no grocery store or restaurant in your area serves Coke...they all have Pepsi only. Again, there's nothing wrong with ABS, it's just an odd thing to me that PVC is excluded for no good reason.
  6. Antonio4791

Antonio4791 New Member

Thanks all for the advice. Good news. I called Schluter directly. As I expected the ABS and PVC drains that come with the shower kits are identical except for a flange peice which is made of either ABS or PVC. They're going to ship me the ABS one free of charge.