PVC cracked while removing basement toilet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

maiku

Reaction score
I'm trying to replace the toilet in our basement bathroom. When I removed the old one I found over half of the flange missing. It was beyond repair so I decided to chisel it out. Things were going pretty well until I noticed the 3-inch long hairline crack in the drain pipe.

P1010063-1.jpg

How serious is this? Can it be sealed? I've read it's best to cut out the pipe and patch with a coupling but I'm hoping I won't have to tear up the concrete.

The replacement flange I bought fits inside the existing 4-inch pipe. Would it help if I got one that fit around it instead?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There is no way that a new flange would ever properly seal to what is left of that pipe.

It's time to cut some concrete and make a proper repair.

Make sure the new replacement flange has a stainless steel ring, not a plastic one.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
You probably should have posted here before breaking out that chisel of yours, no?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks