PVC coupling question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by gtfrueh, Jun 26, 2013.

1. gtfrueh

gtfrueh New Member

Jun 26, 2013

I need to couple two pieces of 1-1/2" PVC pipes together, but I need it to also be strong. I bought the standard fitting at Home Depot, but the total length of the fitting is 2-1/2 inches. I can only slide the PVC pipe into the fitting about 1-1/4 inches. I don't think this will provide the strength I need.

Is there a 1-1/2" fitting that is longer than 2-1/2 inches? Even a few inches on either side would be good.

2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Sep 1, 2004
    Yakima WA
    The standard fitting will be plenty strong. You must understand that PVC is not technically "glued". The so-called glue or cement is actually a solvent that liquifies the surfaces of the pipe and fitting for a few seconds. The allows the pipe of fully engage the fitting. The liquified surfaces blend together and form a chemical weld. The resulting joint is permanent and as strong or stronger than the rest of the pipe.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

Aug 9, 2009
    If your use is just for the strength you could use a coupling that's used for water lines. It's longer than a DWV coupling and the slips are also deeper.