PVC conduit for residential install

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by drick, Sep 8, 2008.

1. drick

drick In the Trades

I need to add some outlets in my unfinished portion of the basement and add a subpanel next to my main panel. Is PVC okay to use indoors a residential situation? I can bend pipe, but I'm slower at it and often its not the best looking.

-rick
  2. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

If it is for protection from damage then you must use Sch80. If it is simply for looks then Sch40 is fine.
  3. drick

drick In the Trades

Hi, thanks. Its just for appearance. I know I could shoot a piece of PT to the wall and run the romex down the PT to an outlet at 4 feet but its not the look I want. I'll spend the $$$ and time for the PVC.
    -rick
  4. codeone

codeone Code Enforcement

The reason for using pipe down the wall is for physical protection. Not so much for looks. The 2008 NEC requires schedule 80 pvc for physical protection if your using PVC.
  5. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

Just a note. This is not new for 2008. It's been in the code a while.