PVC Ball Valve Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

JB Tracy

Reaction score
I've done my fair share of DIY plumbing but this has me concerned. The exterior hose bib shut off is not doing it's job, and leaves a trickle at the hose bib. Not to mention my water bill, I'm not leaving it to chance with the winters we've had here lately.

The proximity to the main shut off concerns me. SEE PIC Would you a) only cut and replace the horizontal section or b) move the intersection of the exterior water joint up from the main shut off?

My concern is in either option there is no much room to work with. All insight is much appreciated.

Attachments

• image-20151203_192814.jpg
    image-20151203_192814.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 482

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it was mine, I'd replace that PVC valve with a "real" ball valve. I'm curious as to why you have what appears to be a drip leg on a water line?

Reaction score
Don't remove any of the old pvc valves if they are not leaking around the glue areas.

Going with the pic you supplied, cut on the left one, and install any REAL ball valve with sharkbites on both ends.

You'll leave the (old) pvc valve wide open forever. Unless it is really necessary, most contractors won't remove an old valve, since it involves re-adding a length of pipe.

I have no idea why they invented PVC ball valves. If factory can make something cheaper, another greedy person will exploit it for profits.
3624078_L.jpg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why use shark bites? If the pipe is a tad too short, a coupling and short piece of pipe will work just fine. There's all kinds of play in the vertical pipe to assemble a proper joint.

JB Tracy

Reaction score
Now you've got me second guessing myself again. You would not remove the current ball joint, just leave it? And then make a cut and install new/better ball joint on the left vertical pictured?

Reach4

Reaction score
I would replace the hose bib. I would probably replace the shutoff too, but the hose bib for sure.

If you are in a freeze area and are relying on the shutoff to protect a non-freezeproof hose bib, I would add a way to drain the water.

JB Tracy

Reaction score
Hose bib is freezeproof...I believe I just need to replace washer on the faucet stem. That will stop leak at hose bib but of course I don't want the water even getting to the hose bib as it will be open in the winter. So this crappy ball valve needs to be replaced...and I'm wondering the best place to make the cut to replace or install a new one.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That piping is CPVC, NOT PVC. The two materials have different o.d.s. OBVIOUSLY, you make the cut at the CPVC ball valve, install a new valve, then adjust the section to the left of it with a coupling and section of pipe to make up the missing length.

Reaction score
Now you've got me second guessing myself again. You would not remove the current ball joint, just leave it? And then make a cut and install new/better ball joint on the left vertical pictured?
Read it again and see what I wrote.

Yes, because you will leave the old valve wide open, and it'll just be part of the open pipe. If it doesn't have any water coming thru bad glue work, or water coming thru the handle pivots, leave it that way open and undisturbed forever.

Removing an old valve requires more work, more pipe again, more glue, more time. But if it puts you to sleep removing the old one, have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Removing an old valve requires more work, more pipe again, more glue, more time

It is the SAME work to cut on both sides of the old valve as it is to make two cuts for the new one. MORE PIPE? Just a couple of inches to compensate for what was lost in the old valve, and if you are worried about "more glue" to make an additional 1/2" or 3/4" joint, you must REALLY be miserly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks