PVC and CPVC are same nominal size - yes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The outside dimension of CPVC is the same as copper and PEX size.
The outside dimension of PVC is larger. The fittings don't mix.

Because CPVC is the same as copper on the OD, the ID is smaller than copper.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You are confusing apples and oranges. CPVC is the same o.d. as copper, but since the wall is thicker, 1/2" CPVC is MUCH smaller than 1/2" copper. PVC is sch. 40 so its o.d. is the same as steel pipe but its i.d. is also smaller than steel pipe. In other words, plastic pipe is ALWAYS smaller, internally, than the corresponding size metal pipe. What you read was for SCHEDULE 40 CPVC, which is seldom used or available.

Reaction score
Typically pipe referred to as a certain size and schedule is always the same physical size no matter what it is made of, (pvc, CPVC, Steel, etc). What does does change is the temperature and pressure rating of the pipe. Also where the pipe can be used and how it can be used is usually called out in a building code. These pipes always have the same outside diameter for a given size. The Schedule of the pipe determines the wall thickness, a sch 40 pipe has a thinner wall than a sch 80. Seamless wrought steel pipe is defined by ANSI/ASME B36.10M, PVC and CPVC have they own standards as well, but the physical size off the pipe is common.

I have never seen copper pipe in the same physical size as the pipe above. Copper pipe is defined in the following ASTM standards, B88 (most common), B306 (Drain, Waste, Vent, HVAC, Solar), B280 (Refrigeration, Natural Gas, Liquified Petroleum (LP) Gas, Compressed Air), and B819 (Medical Gases).

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
The chart I linked to is wrong then - if the OD is different between CPVC and PVC. ** I see now that the Chart has the same inside dimensions for both types too, so it is clearly wrong.

I need to find a new Chart.

I need to know the outside diameter of 1/2" CPVC.

I'm wanting to confirm the pipe size at my father-in-laws place before I get a stop valve and head over this weekend. He says it's 1/2" white (i.e. CPVC) plastic pipe (under his kitchen sink).

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What can get quite confusing is that 1/2" pipe is neither 1/2" OD or ID! The OD is 5/8", and the ID is whatever is required to meet the desired strength requirements. FOr example, on copper, the three common classes of tubing are K, L, or M, where M has the thinnest walls, and ALL of those have an ID greater than 1/2"! Pex, CPVC, have much thicker walls, and therefore a smaller ID than copper, but their OD remains the same.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks