Putting in Kitchen flooring

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by chestnuts, Nov 2, 2006.

1. chestnuts

chestnuts DIY Member

I started the kitchen remodel today. I am ready to lay down the new floor. It is the EASYLOCK Laminated flooring from Lowe's. This is what is on the floor right now. I started pulling it up and this is what it is doing. I figured it was better to pull this up instead of laying the new floor on top of it.

[​IMG]

Looks like I will have to do a lot of scraping if I pulled it up.

[​IMG]

Is it better to just lay this down on top of the old vinyl??? I thought the added height might mess up the cabinets.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The difference in height is not much...the vinal is probably barely over 1/8", so taking it out may not buy you much. The bigger question is what does the manufacturer say about what's under it?

Note, most of this type of flooring requires that the subfloor be quite flat. Have you checked out yours to see how well it fares? If it isn't flat, then it will be like stepping on a spring as the floor bounces up and down, plus, it will put a huge load on the joints, which will lead to failure when they fatigue and break off.
  3. Pewterpower

Pewterpower New Member

The vinyl should be OK (the instructions on the box should tell you) but it needs to be absolutely smooth. No curled up cuts, nail pops, boogers, etc...
    Take a 4 ft level and lay it on the floor. Just slide it across the floor from one end to the other and cover as much of the floor as you can. This will make any peaks and valleys you may have become painfully obvious.
  4. chestnuts

chestnuts DIY Member

I remember now why I wanted to remove the vinyl. It only goes up to the existing cabinets. I will be replacing those cabinets, but also installing new cabinets where there was none before. Won't there be a height difference?? There are lots of curl ups at the edges. Most edges did not stick very well. Also what about the dirt?? Shouldn't the floor be very clean before I put down the pad??
  5. Pewterpower

Pewterpower New Member

You don't need to put flooring under the cabinets. Most people don't. I wouldn't waste the money.
    Yes the floors have to be thoroughly clean before you put anything down. If you have any sand, dirt, crumbs, etc... It will crunch under your feet everytime you walk over it.
    If the curl ups you talk about are right at the edges, then I would just trim them off. Or if they're still pliable enough, try to reglue it down.
    BTW, what are you working on, wood or concrete slab?
  6. chestnuts

chestnuts DIY Member

From the looks of it, the previous owners screwed down plywood before gluing down the vinyl. I intend on putting the flooring under the cabinets for a couple of reasons.
    1) I have already purchased the flooring to do so and
    2) I will be installing a new under-the-counter dishwasher next to the sink where it belongs. Therefore, I want to be able to pull out the dishwasher if there is any problems. If I install the flooring up to and not under it, I might not be able to pull the dishwasher out. This way, I make certain I can get to it, or a repairman can get it out (Sears warranty).
  7. Pewterpower

Pewterpower New Member

That's cool. As long as the cabinets are getting yanked, and you have the empty floor, then go for it.
  8. jadnashua

I assume that this is a floating floor...installing cabinets onto it may not be the best thing! Check with the manufacturer. Thowing heavy things, especially if they are screwed down is not a good idea.
  9. Pewterpower

Pewterpower New Member

That's a great point.
    If the kitchen is fairly small, then it won't be a problem. But If it's a large kitchen, especially with a big window that will let the sun beat down on it, then that floor will definately shift (expand and contract) and your cabinets may not like that.
  10. chestnuts

chestnuts DIY Member

Yes, it is a floating floor. Throwing what heavy things???

The kitchen is 13'1" by 11' 11". The only window that would allow light into the kitchen is partially blocked by a desk, so not much light will get in there.

I found out why the previous owners put down board before gluing down the vinyl..

[​IMG]

They put it on top of other vinyl.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  11. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

floor

Even if you just put flooring up to the cabinets, you would still put it inside the dishwasher, refrigerator, and freestanding range areas so they could be moved in and out.
  12. Pewterpower

Pewterpower New Member

so you pulled up the subfloor, too?
    Is that a hardwood floor I see under there????
    My heart just broke.........

Anyway, it's not about the light that comes in from the window, it's the heat.

That is almost the exact same size as my kitchen. It's a pretty decent size floor.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  13. chestnuts

chestnuts DIY Member

This house was built in 1952, so I am sure it had hardwood floors thru out the house. That photo is the doorway between the kitchen and the living room. The hardwood is in the living room. Here is a photo of the door jam.
    [​IMG]

I removed the transition board (because I do not know the technical term) that was in the doorway and this is what I found. I have not removed anything from the floor yet, except more dirt. Do you think I should remove the subfloor and just start over??
  14. jadnashua

A floating floor expands and contracts. Placing something like kitchen cabinets on top of it and then anchoring them would probably prevent it from doing its normal thing. This can lead to tenting where you've restricted the movement. The manufacturers usually specify something like 1/2" or so gap against immovable objects to allow for it to actually float. Think of a piece of paper on the table...press from each side, it will bow up in the middle. That is what tenting is. It can kill a floating floor (and a tile one, too for that matter and actually pop the tile off of the floor!).
  15. chestnuts

chestnuts DIY Member

Look what we discovered when we removed the first layer of vinyl.
    [​IMG]

By removing this layer, I will not have to cut the door trim again and will keep the floor the same height as it was.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Closer look at the old, old, old vinyl. Anyone care to date this pattern?? Carefull, don't date yourself!!!! LOL!!!!!
    [​IMG]
  16. Pewterpower

Pewterpower New Member

So how many layers of vinyl are we up to now? Plus a subfloor inbetween?
    All this on top of a beautiful hardwood floor.
    Rip it all out and just refinish the hardwood. :D
  17. chestnuts

chestnuts DIY Member

Darn!!!! No such luck.
    [​IMG]

My wife was getting excited at the thought there was hardwood floor underneath. I was not so thrilled thinking of the work ahead of me.

We found this in another area.

[​IMG]

This is where the dishwasher used to sit.

[​IMG]

We are going to lay down the foam underlayment on top of this layer and start putting down the new flooring.
  18. Pewterpower

Pewterpower New Member

Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  19. chestnuts

chestnuts DIY Member

It has been awhile since I posted here. Thought I would give an update to my kitchen remodel. I do not have the flooring installed and the counter top is scheduled to be installed this week.

Here is a before photo of the kitchen:

[​IMG]

Here is during demolition which began November 2, 2006:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. chestnuts

chestnuts DIY Member

More of the demolition:

[​IMG]

Had to open the walls for the new wiring and to find out where the old wiring went.

[​IMG]

Here is how the kitchen stands today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]