Putting bathroom in attic need serious help

Users who are viewing this thread

middie8

Reaction score
Putting bathroom in attic need serious help(PICS ARE UP, thx terry)

Here are the pics. Corner jacuzzi is going in back right corner under window. Pedestal sink is to the left of that. Toilet is in front of the sink, as you can see the 3" PVC going from left to right. And lastly a shower going in opposite the jacuzzi. I have a bathroom on the 2nd floor using the main stack you see to the right and well as a kitchen. My questions are:

Is wet venting going to be a problem? How bad?

Where do I vent the toilet?

Please help, thanks,

pics to follow, they are too big to post,

higgins_%20010.jpg
higgins_011.jpg
higgins_012.jpg

Last edited:

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

I can tell you this without pictures. The 3" PVC is most likely vent for lower floors. You CANNOT just connect the attic bathroom drainage into this. You are either going to need to revent everything below or drop a stack down for the attic bathroom. You cannot "wet vent" from floor to floor. Every fixture is going to need to be vented and trapped (correctly).
I will post back again after the pictures are here.
Deb
The Pipewench

middie8

Reaction score
so i need to connect everything into a 3" pvc drain to go down and connect somewhere in the basement, because it is below the kitchen and 2nd floor bathroom.

i put the "junior" in junior member

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pictures?

Where are the pictures? From your description, however, it appears that you are going to create an entirely new drain system for the attic plumbing and connect it to the existing sewer system somewhere below the existing first floor. You are describing a system where the drain piping can be even more complicated than the venting because of space issues and joist placements.

middie8

Reaction score
if i understand you right i cannot drain my jacuzzi, toilet, sink and shower into the main stack that runs down my entire house out to the street. this would be a wet vent? if so, then wouldnt that be a problem with my second floor bathroom, it drains into the same pipe?

dwpecksr

Reaction score
Website
www.dalestrenchless.com
2nd story bath

all the waste and drain lines from the second floor need to tie into the waste line below the first floor bath. change the 3x2 san tee (horizontal) and use a 3x2 y instead. I can't tell if you notched the floor joists or not. It would have been better if they were drilled. looks like all you needed was a 2" line from the 3" san vertical tee. That tee could of been a 3x2 san tee. I'm not knocking your work, just saying how i might have done it.
Can you get a 3/4 hot and cold up to the second floor?
Test your work before covering up and the use of nail plates is a good idea.
Dale :) :)

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Hi Jim

Thank you for coming over to this site so you can gain a broader input on your project. It doesn't stop your project but it does mean some more planning and more work. But you will get a system that works. You would feel worse to finish everything and then have problems with not just your new bathroom but your lower floors as well :eek: . There is a lot more to get a drainage and vent system to work that it may first appear :eek: .
The second floor works now because it has a vent. If you change it's vent into a drain then you don't have the same system. When the plumbers see your pictures and how far you have gone then .....have a thick skin :cool: . Keep asking questions and you can lick this. But you need to start accepting that you're going to need another pipe going through the second floor. What's under this room?
Don't get mad and don't give up. This is just a bump. Big bump but still a bump.

middie8

Reaction score
under this room is my 2nd floor bathroom, then under that is my kitchen. those holes are drilled dale, thanks for the suggestions, I need to look and see if I can run a 3" pvc down the stack right next to the other one.

thanks again and keep em coming,

jim

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

You have got some real problems here. You need a seperate drop for the attic drainage or a new vent for the lower fixtures. You cannot use the vent from a lower floor for the discharge of drainage from an upper floor.
It is a little hard to tell exactly what is going on, but it appears that none of the fixtures are vented except the lav. You cannot use sanitary tees in the horizontal. Trying to describe how to vent this may be difficult. This goes for the jacuzzi, shower, and toilet. You will need to take a horizontal vent off the main line because of space restrictions. You cannot run drainage from another fixture into the trap arm of another fixture. The vent take off has to be within 5' of its trap on 2" line and 6' for the toilet (regardless of whether you use 3" or 4"--UPC code), from the top of the flange to the point of vent. You must use a combination fitting or a wye and an 1/8th bend, the invert must be rolled so that the takeoff is above the center line of the drainage pipe the vent serves, and graded. You must use drainage fittings anytime you have a vent take-off below the flood rim level of the fixture. The tub and shower will need traps. A toilet has an integral trap.
You need 1/4" per foot grade.
Deb
The Pipewench

middie8

Reaction score
no, no pouting at all, just staring at the back wall and the pvc and shaking my head laughing

all in all im glad i did go on this page, thank you lonny

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks