Putting a post through a HVAC Duct

Users who are viewing this thread

firepilot

Reaction score
Hello,

We are doing a kitchen remodel and removing a wall. The wall is a bearing wall and the span is to be supported by a Glue lam beam. The wall sits on Triple 2x10 floor joists as it is right now. I need to add a 4x4 post in the basement to support the point load of the end of the beam. Where I want the post to go there is a HVAC duct. Its not necessarily feasible to completely relocate the HVAC run. Is it possible to box in or penetrate the duct and either tape around it or box it out?

I have contacted a local HVAC company to come look at it and for the life of me can't get them to come out and give an estimate. I will be contacting the other company in town but wold like to know my options.

Thank you

Phil

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You need a sheet metal guy to make a chase through the duct. You might have better luck doing the measuring and marking and then taking that section of duct to their shop, where they can fabricate it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I am sure any fire code would require that it be a metal post, just as they do not allow any flammable wires to go through ducting. If the duct is against the beam, the top flange of the post would not have to penetrate the top of the duct, so you would only have to seal the bottom side.

firepilot

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. We went ahead and opened the wall up today and we will not be needing to put a post through anything.

Have a good one.

Phil

firepilot

Reaction score
Everything is fine on that. Was able to put the support just outside the duct. But good point!

Phil

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks