Pushomatic Breaker 100 Amp Bus

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Bgood, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Bgood

Bgood New Member

Hello to the group,
    I want to replace a Main breaker in a Pushomatic box. It is a 100 Amp.
    I was able to buy a replacement unit. But it is designed for non-main use. That is to say it has two tabs which attach to the bus; and two connections for wires. The wire lugs are removable. But the holes in the tabs that used to be used for wire don't seem to line up with the holes in the two hot buses.

This is the new one I have:
    T2100
    Connecticut Electric UBIP2100 Pushmatic Circuit Breaker, 2-Pole 100-Amp

So, does anyone remember a difference in a main breaker and what seems like one only to be used for branch circuits ?

TIA

Bob
  2. bluebinky

bluebinky Member

I have two of them in my junk pile (PC No. 43640 replacement & PC No. 48640 original). The replacement one was the last one the the breaker store had. They had lots of the non-main breakers.

One breaker cost more than the new 200A Square D panel with main breaker that eventually replaced it...

Not sure what you are asking, but the main difference seems to be the shape and placement of the tabs.
  3. ActionDave

ActionDave Electrician

A Main Breaker has to physically attach to the panel somehow so there is no chance of you ending up with a live breaker in your hand even though it is in the off position.
  4. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

This is correct
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It also usually bolts to the incoming and outgoing lugs. It would not use a "wire terminal".
  6. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

I thought a Pushomatic was a VW auto transmission selector, that was mounted on the dash.

Times are a changing.

Have Fun Everyone & Be Careful playing with electricity.
  7. dj2

dj2 Member

I thought that was on PLYMOUTH cars...
  8. Bgood

Bgood New Member

Need Breaker

Yes, the tabs seem to be just a little off to correctly bolt to both buses.

Because the use is a duplex (two meters), it would be expensive and require a permit to change out the panel.
    So, I need one of these "Main" breakers that will bolt to the hot bus and to the bus to which the other breakers are attached.

Would love to get a new one.

Any help appreciated,

Bob
  9. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

Note that it is Pushmatic... no 'o'. I don't have a lead on the part you are looking for, but that might help your searches.
  10. bluebinky

bluebinky Member

For those who haven't seen pushmatic (bulldog) breakers, they are screwed down to the bus on one side and have lugs on the other. The main breakers look almost identical, but are subtly different. They seem to be considered hazardous by some.

I was able to get one from Bay Breakers in San Jose CA a few years ago ($200).

Are you willing to replace with used? I don't think they are manufactured any more. I see two on e-bay that look like a match...

Try googeling combinations of: bulldog, pushmatic, ITE Siemens
  11. bartstop

bartstop New Member

12. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; I thought that was on PLYMOUTH cars...

What about the Edsel with the buttons in the steering wheel. But "pushmatic" is probably what you did with a Yugo, when it wouldn't go into drive.
  13. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Split buss panel?
  14. Homeownerinburb

Homeownerinburb New Member

Compared to Zinsco or Stabloc they are just a treat.

I recently did just this fix on a residential panel, half of the master 100 amp breaker had decided to refuse to conduct under any circumstances.

My particular panel had the busses from the meter nerve wrackingly close to the can; I called the power company to come out to unlock the meter.

Other than that, my swap, with a bulldog from Home Despot, went swimmingly.
  15. Homeownerinburb

16. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

That should not really mater.

Insurance won't pay if the wrong breaker is used, so changing the panel without a permit yields the same result.

If insurance is involved, Installing a new panel or installing a breaker needs to be done by a qualified person.

Be careful playing with electricity.

Stay Warm.
  17. Homeownerinburb

Well, I am not sure I am following you. Assuming he can get the correct replacement, there is not lots left to say.

I have not ever known of a need to pull a permit to simply replace like with like.

Having to drive something in with a hammer and chewing gum is, I agree, not recommended.
  18. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

Depends on where you are at. Where I work it would require a permit and inspection. Changing light bulbs or plate covers no permit required. Changing switches, receptacles, breakers, appliances, ect requires a permit and failure to get one will result in a fine. Have one coming to the carpet for work done three years ago.