Push-on valve question

Users who are viewing this thread

gmacdon

Reaction score
Hi, I recently purchased a push on valve from Lowe's.The inlet is a 5/8" O.D. and 3/8" outlet O.D. This is a replacement for a frozen water shut off valve to the upstairs toilet. I was told push on valves are a snap (literally.) Turns out my copper water supply line is 5/8" O.D. (not 1/2" as I had presumed). The I.D. of the valve is 5/8", same as O.D. of water supply line, so the valve will not fir over it. Any suggestions as to how I can solve the "fit" problem??? Lowe's said the valve should fit over most standard copper supply lines. Help, please, as I've already cut the old valve off, and water to the house is shut off until I replace the valve/ Thank you! :confused::mad:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Hi, I recently purchased a push on valve from Lowe's.The inlet is a 5/8" O.D. and 3/8" outlet O.D. This is a replacement for a frozen water shut off valve to the upstairs toilet. I was told push on valves are a snap (literally.) Turns out my copper water supply line is 5/8" O.D. (not 1/2" as I had presumed). The I.D. of the valve is 5/8", same as O.D. of water supply line, so the valve will not fir over it. Any suggestions as to how I can solve the "fit" problem??? Lowe's said the valve should fit over most standard copper supply lines. Help, please, as I've already cut the old valve off, and water to the house is shut off until I replace the valve/ Thank you! :confused::mad:

That sounds like what you get with stuff made in China.

Get rid of it and use a different game plan.

Or get the correct one.

From what I have seen the push on valves made today are a PITA.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Push on valves are total junk in the first place. If the pipe is not deformed, a compression 1/4 turn valve would be the best way to go.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Standard 1/2" copper pipe is 5/8" OD
If the new valve fits up to 5/8", then it should work. How long of pipe do you have to push the new shutoff onto?
Normally when you remove the old shutoff, there is a ferrule or sleeve, and a nut. I remove these with a sleeve puller.

sleeve_puller_2.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You are not doing something right. All water pipe, universally known as " 1/2 inch copper" is 5/8 diameter. Your push on valve is specifically designed to use with that pipe.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Possibly the pipe has been squeezed into a slight oval or perhaps there is a burr on the end. My take on the original question was you were using some kind of a Shark Bite type connector that just pushed on to the pipe. If you are using a regular compression ring and nut, then my comments on the valve do not apply, but the pipe has to be perfectly round with not burr on the end. A burr will be easy to remedy with a piece of emery cloth or fine file, but a oval will require cutting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks