Pumptech Issue or Well Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

elipoppin

Reaction score
I just had a new pump put in my well...The installer was afraid the last one burned up because it was running dry...He installed a pumptech to protect the new pump and set it so sensitive that I had no water again...I would open the pressure switch and close it again and the pump would run for about 5 sec and shut off...I had to turn the sens down to live again...We were getting alot of sand so he restricted the flow with a ball valve open only about 1/4...Pump comes on and builds to about 80psi before the valve....would the amp drop at high pressure come into play and make the pumptech think the pump is freewheeling?

Is restricting the flow with a valve bad for the pump? It is a new goulds 1hp 200' deep...

I do not see any air at my faucets...How do I know if I am sucking things dry? The pump was in two days before the pumptech was put in and everything was fine as far as I could tell....Long showers / no air or pressure drop.

Sorry for the long one...Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yes the low amps from the pump being restricted by the ball valve could be causing the Pumptec to trip out. Choking back on the pump, even down to 1 GPM, won't hurt anything. There should still be a difference in low amps from the ball valve and even lower amps from actually pumping the well dry. The best way to know is to open the ball valve, then run a lot of water until the well pumps off. See how many amps the pump is pulling when the well is pumped dry. Then set the pumptec just above those amps. If the Pumptec only has increments of 10%, it may not be sensitive enough to know the difference between dry well and choked back. Only one way to find out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks