Pumptec

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Healz99, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Healz99

Healz99 New Member

Hi,
    Have just recently moved into a house that has what's considered a low producing well approximately 1.5 GPM. Along with alarms to monitor water theres also a Pumptec (The no load sensor pump protection system). This unit has two lights one reading POWER the other reading TRIPPED. Over the last couple of days we've notice that both lights are always on and were trying to figure out why??? If someone out there could respond and maybe some information on what this thing does it certainly would be appreciated. I've also turned the power off for a few seconds then back on. One green light appears then shortly after the red turns on again! PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks
  2. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

I've never had the need for one in my area. I sell them all over the US, but have never used one.

You could call Franklin, the folks that make them. I'm sure they would have an answer for you. Call my friend Mike Keen at: 813-716-3519.

bob...
  3. thassler

thassler New Member

I have one of these for my low producing well and I have this love-hate relationship with it. It has saved my pump at least twice but it often leaves random family members standing in the shower stall all soaped up with no water. The only resolution is to cycle the power to the well house from the service entrance panel. Once done, all is well except for those two times that the water level actually was below the pump intake.
    The unit works by monitoring the amperage draw and voltage level during pump operation. If the levels fall outside a calibrated range, the unit will 'trip'. Depending upon which type of fault occurs, it may wait a specified time delay and then attempt a restart. The Pumptec Plus series has 3 lights, Green, Yellow and Red. If I remember correctly here's the meaning:

Solid Green = Unit is powered.
    Flashing Green = Pump is running
    Solid Yellow = An underload occurred (Usually means low water level)
    Flashing Yellow = An overload occurred (This is the false trip I get a lot)
    Solid Red = Over Voltage detected on the line
    Flash Red = Under Voltage on the line.

I'm assuming you have no water when the pumptec is tripped? Does the water come back on when you power cycle it or does the pumptec just trip again immediatly? If you are getting a solid yellow then it's very likely your well water level is below the intake.