Pumps. out with the old...need in with something new

Users who are viewing this thread

wellnoobie

Reaction score
so here is my current situation.. recently purchased some land that has a well on it.. attached is said "set up".
the tank is blown out/rusted and leaking like a seive... so i'm looking to replace. well depth runs about 60ft +/- and is about 350ft from where the pipe come up to the cutoff valve. i am only going to be running a water spicket for the time being but will be adding a home to the property in a couple of years or less. so, my question is this.. what should i do.. the motor is good but the tank is out.. should i just completely overhaul the whole set up and install something newer or just replace the tank. a new Ruth Berry tank is gonna run $400 or so. any and all suggestions and replies are appreciated..

p.s. i'd like to stay relatively low cost on this project for the time being.. i can always go bigger and better when the home is built!

thanks!

Attachments

• 20160603_182544.jpg
    20160603_182544.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 976
  • 20160603_175810.jpg
    20160603_175810.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 459

wellnoobie

Reaction score
thanks for the reply.. that looks really nice, neat and easy... but is it economical? with that thing kicking on every minute..seems like the electric bill would shoot up? am i wrong? not sure i understand what exactly a 4gal replacement tank did for an 80gal. could you or someone explain?
thanks!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you can do Flash programs, go to the link below and play with the 6 ways to use water in and around the house. You will see that the bottom pump system will cycle on and off while you are using water in the house, as it is the old style pressure tank only system. But when you have a Cycle Stop Valve there is no cycling while you are using water, as in the top pump system on the graphic. All a pressure tank is for is to reduce the cycling, so when you have a Cycle Stop Valve to do that for you, a large tank is not needed. With a CSV the water goes right past the tank, so it doesn't matter if it is a 1 gallon or a million gallon tank. You wanted a more modern up to date type pump system, and that is what a CSV is and does.

Graphic
http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/simple/home.php

PS;
And no it doesn't use more energy, it just makes the pump and everything else last longer and delivers constant pressure to the house instead of the pressure constantly changing like in the old systems.

wellnoobie

Reaction score
ok gotcha.. thanks for that graphic.. really gave me a excellent picture of whats going on..
so i get constant flow and pressure with the csv installed
don't need a bigger tank and instead of the pump cutting on and off to refill the tank.. the pump will just continue to run until the flow stops and the then the little tank fills again....correct?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
ok gotcha.. thanks for that graphic.. really gave me a excellent picture of whats going on..
so i get constant flow and pressure with the csv installed
don't need a bigger tank and instead of the pump cutting on and off to refill the tank.. the pump will just continue to run until the flow stops and the then the little tank fills again....correct?

Now your pretty darn close! Except I would say you get constant pressure with variable flow. The CSV has to vary the flow to match the usage, to keep the pressure constant. Or else the pump produces lower pressure for higher flows and higher pressure during lower flows. The CSV just keeps the pressure the same no matter the flow being used. In the process the water goes right past the tank, so as long as you are using more than 1 GPM the size of the tank is a moot point. When you are not using water, the small tank does give about 1 gallon of water, but it works more as a timer.

The only time the pump shuts off is when you are no longer using water. Then the 1 gallon in the tank must be used before the pressure will drop from 60 to 40 so the pressure switch can start the pump. If you turn on a 1 GPM kitchen faucet, it will take one minute for the tank to drain and the pump to start. A 2 GPM faucet would give you 30 seconds before the pump starts. Then the pump runs for as long as you are using water. When all the faucets are finally closed, the CSV lets the tank refill at 1 GPM. Since the tank holds 1 gallon of water and the CSV was holding the pressure at a constant 50 PSI while you were using water, it will only take 30 seconds to put the last 1/2 gallon in the tank before the pump shuts off. Basically the tank makes sure the pump doesn't come on the instant you crack a faucet or go off the second you close a faucet. This keeps the pump from ever being able to short cycle, no matter what. Because of this timer effect, even just the ice maker filling or occasional hand washing cannot make the pump rapid cycle.

The CSV is a simple little valve with a complicated explanation, and I have been trying for 24 years to figure out a short, easy way to explain it. But there are many benefits to controlling a pump this way over the old traditional big pressure tank only system. And don't get me wrong, you can use a CSV with any size tank you want, and there maybe even a minor advantage to using a CSV with a larger tank. But once you see how a CSV works, you will understand that using any larger tank is not necessary or cost effective.

wellnoobie

Reaction score
yes sir.. i gotcha. i am pretty well set on a constant pressure system. i like the pside - kick system. i'm also wondering if there is a cheaper way to get this type of system but i like what i'm seeing and what i'm hearing. thanks alot for the info! man this has really helped answer a lot of questions for me. i know where to come when i get my set up going for fine tuning instructions! thanks again vavleman!!!

wellnoobie

Reaction score
is there a "DIY" build it yourself section? i'd like to explore building my own constant pressure system. i really need to get the best bang for my buck..problem is.. i'm on a budget!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks