Pumping large amounts of well water

Users who are viewing this thread

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
In a few months I will need to pump about 600 gallons of water out of my well.

This well is 400 feet deep with a water level at 200 feet. The pump is 2hp and is set at about 300 feet. I was told when the well was drilled that the recovery rate was 25 gpm +.

I have 2 80 gallon pressure tanks. The pressure switch is 50/70.

I think it would be best to use 3 garden hoses. This would let as much water flow as possible and would make the pump not cycle as much.

Am I thinking off the wall or is this about right?

HandyAndy

General Contractor, Farmer
Reaction score
Really 600 gallons of water is not that much water,

when one waters a 1000 a square foot of lawn with one INCH of water that is 625 gallons of water.

http://www.rainsourcewater.com/page_1168472622168.html
( square footage) Multiply that amount times 0.625 to find the total gallons the roof can catch per inch of rain.

when one waters a lawn or garden with a well many times it is in excess of 600 gallons,

but yes if you open up to total flow the pump will not cycle and should be easier on it,

jsut for the cattle we can pump 600 gallons in a few hrs, each day when it is hot,

It sounds as if you have a good well and pump system there should be no problems,

when I had the under ground "lawn" sprinkler working (decided it cost to much to keep things watered and let it go during the drought), it would take over 6000 gallons to water the area the sprinklers covered, each cycle, it was not worth it to me for that much water went with native grasses and mostly the brown look during the last 8 years during the drought,

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks