pump vs price

Users who are viewing this thread

mbassen

Reaction score
I have been looking at specs and prices for a 220V pump replacement for a 150ft well. Question is does price relate to quality. 90% have the same, Franklin, brand motor. Prices very from $350.00 to $1100.00. My old pump was a jaqusizzi. I do not want to save a buck if the quality is an issue. I have other installation questions but I need to buy a pump first.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A Franklin motor is a Franklin motor, and that is about the best you can do. There are a lot of differences in pump ends. Some have plastic impellers, some have Stainless Steel impellers. Some have fixed stack design and some have floating stack design. I personally like the Stainless Steel impellers with the fixed stack design. Mainly because they have better horse power characteristics at low flow rates, not because they last any longer. These are made by National, Hydroflo, Unitra, Grundfos and others.

Most submersibles are built to survive an average life of about 7 years. That usually depends on how many times they cycle on and off. Any pump you choose will last longer if you keep the number of cycles reduced to a minimum. Reducing the cycling is the most important thing, not paying two to three times as much for a pump.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Base your decision on knowledge!

You don't have to buy the lowest price, but it is useful to know the price ranges of pumps that you are considering.

The Internet and Google are your friends. Sites like this are your friend. But in the end you must apply your judgement and make the decision.

You can buy Goulds pumps at http://www.wwpp.us/goulds/goulds-submersible-2-wire.shtml 10GS07 = $572 + shipping

The 3/4 HP Myers Predator 2ST72 http://www.wwpp.us/myers/predator-2-wire.shtml with about the same characteristics is about $470.

They may not be the lowest prices but you get some idea what a good pump should cost.

When comparing pumps you must look at the curve, not just the GPM number. For example, a Goulds 10GPM rated pump has virtually the same performance as many pumps that are called 12 GPM pumps by other manufacturers.

You must figure out how you are going to install the pump if you buy it on the internet.

You might be able to leverage your knowledge to get a better price from another supplier, but you must also be careful about having the $$ addes somewhere else that you can't compare. All vendors must make a profit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Bob is right, some 10 GPM pumps are the same as another companies 12 GPM pump. The same thing is true of the 22 GPM and 25 GPM pumps. Franklin bought Jacuzzi, so the J-Class and the Schaefer Pump are now the same as the old Jacuzzi. Big name brands like Goulds are not any better than other brands, you just pay extra for their corporate jets and race cars.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pump

The number of pump stages will affect the price more than the material or motor. It also affects how much water it can pump, and how high it will pump it.

Leaky Boot

Reaction score
I have been looking at specs and prices for a 220V pump replacement for a 150ft well. Question is does price relate to quality. 90% have the same, Franklin, brand motor. Prices very from $350.00 to $1100.00. My old pump was a jaqusizzi. I do not want to save a buck if the quality is an issue. I have other installation questions but I need to buy a pump first.
If you get interested in a Goulds with Franklin give me an email and I'll quote you a pretty good price. Toss in a free splice kit and free ship too. howardbackhoeandsupply@yahoo.com

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks