pump stops periodically

Users who are viewing this thread

PJL

Reaction score
I have an old myers well. The pump stops running whenever it gets ready to. 2-3 days later, maybe sooner, it comes back on and we have water again. The casing is beside the tank with feed line going into well coming out of the top. Of course it's galvanized. How do you get to the pump? I've tried to take the casing up. I took the 4 hex head bolts out, disassembled the feed line but it seems that the pipe is going to fall in if you remove the cover. Do I need to tie it off before removing the cover?

Reach4

Reaction score
You may have already got yourself in trouble by removing the bolts. Normally you just loosen them. Then you lift with force.
ws111-s.jpg
Some well seals have the metal pieces split. I hope yours are not split, and I hope the bottom piece did not fall in and get jammed.

The casing is the big pipe (typically 4 or 5 inches ID) that the well seal is on top of, so you don't want to take that up.

I suggest posting a photo of your well seal, drop pipe(s) and casing. Then somebody may be able to offer a suggestion, although calling well service is probably your best move.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The "cover" or well seal comes up with the first joint of pipe. It is the weight of the pipe and water in it that is holding everything down. It is just going to be heavy and 21' long when you start pulling up. That is why pump guys have tall hoist trucks with powerful winches. If it were on PVC or poly pipe it would be a different story. But galv pipe is not conducive to doing it yourself without the proper tools.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks