Pump still runs but pressure stops at 40psi.

Users who are viewing this thread

sdm111

Reaction score
First off I would like to say nice forum this is my first post, anyhoo I have a shallow well pump that won't cut off. The pressure will get to 40psi. per the gauge and hold there but the pump still runs. If I turn the breaker off it will still hold at 40. Any ideas thanks in advance.

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
pump make/model would be helpful

I'd guess that the jet nozzle in the pump is either clogged or broken. depending on model, could be very easy to check.. or a pita.

sdm111

Reaction score
Sorry for my ignorance but I don't know the well elevation. If it helps I live right at sea level. The pump is a flotec shallow well pump from home depot. I took it apart and nothing looks obviously damaged or broken.

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
home depot sells 2 different types of flotec pumps.. one has a plastic housing, and the other has a cast iron housing.

flotec isn't known for good quality pumps, but the one with the plastic housing is very cheaply made. i have seen these pumps do what you say for no good reason at all... take it all apart, and it all seems well but still the same poor results. there's a threaded plug just underneath the suction pipe that you can unscrew and look in... should see a small jet nozzle hole behind that plug that can sometimes clog. if its clear, you're probably beating a dead horse and you should just replace the pump. get a good quality pump with a cast iron housing.

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The reason I asked about the elevation difference is because a shallow well jet pump is limited by it. Not only is it limited by the height it can lift, but also the additional height affects the max pressure it can produce. In other words, if it doesn't have to pull as much, it can push more.

If your pump was able to exceed 40 PSI but no longer can, a drop in the water table is one possible factor. I agree with justwater, that it is probably a lousy pump, but throwing more money at a new shallow well pump cannot bribe the laws of physics so it behooves you to check it out. If it is borderline, now might be a good time to consider a submersible.

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Hello all,

Given where you live I would not think that the water table is the problem.

I agree that Flotec pumps are not as good as they use to be.

Is that a jet pump ? What is Your model ?

That would help you to get a better answer to your question.

Have a great day.

DonL

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
If the pump built pressure before it should build pressure now. Jet pumps don't build pressure. Not building pressure is usually caused by the nozzle in the jet assembly being restricted, plugged or washed out. Solution: Locate the jet assembly on the end of the pump, in the pump or in the well, clean the nozzle and you should get your pressure back. It can be a lift problem but if it has worked in the past it should still build pressure. Foltec's aren't my favorite but they will get you by. . . for a time.

sdm111

Reaction score
If I'm reading it right the model number is FP4012-10. The pump has been working since winter of 2009-10. It had good pressure and was working fine till one day I noticed it was not cutting off so I checked the gauge between the pump and tank and it was at a steady 40psi. So I closed the valve on the tank outlet and still 40, then cut the breaker off and it held at 40. First I took it all apart but did not find anything obviously wrong. Re-installed and the same thing. Searched the internet and found about the jet nozzle took it back apart and if I am looking at the jet nozzle 1/4" ish size hole that's visible after removing the plug under the inlet pipe it's clear. Tried to take the case apart but couldn't figure it out. But as we all know you get what you pay for!

Last edited by a moderator:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Their is not much to go wrong with that pump.

Looks like the 4 bolts that mount the motor to the pump housing is all that need to be removed
to inspect the Impeller.

Other than the nozzle being plugged up, or maybe a damaged or clogged impeller, not much else to be broken. Unless it froze over the winter. Looks like it is all plastic.

Here is the breakdown for the Parts, In case you don't have it.

http://www.depcopump.com/datasheets/flotec/FP4012-10, FP401215H-10, FP4022-10, FP4032-10 manual.pdf

Does it sound like the motor is running at the correct speed ?

If you do disassemble it, Make sure the O-Rings are in the proper location, when you reassemble it.

Good luck.

DonL

Last edited:

sdm111

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, yeah I separated the motor from the plastic case I was talking about separating part 7 from part 9 to inspect it further.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks