Pump Still Kicking Off

Users who are viewing this thread

GMrules

Reaction score
Last few days after I installed my New pump and sorted out my pressure issues I still have to hit the reset buttonon the control Box.

As reminder, I have Goulds 18GS with 15412 1 1/2 HP Motor, I replaced the pump last week and few weeks back the control Box and pressure switch. In our
discussion here we determined my pump was bad from cycling. so I replaced it
as I had to hit the reset button few times a week.

When I pulled up the pump I found I had nick in the wire and thought maybe thats in addition to the cycling was causing my pump to fail after 4 short years.

so Now I have new everything Except the wire in the well and wire in the ground to my crawl.

I bought new box today in case we thought maybe the shorty had messed up my caps and was causing it to trip, one thing hit me when I was looking at the new control box

It is a gould 1 1/2 hp control box for 1542 part # is CB15412CR

The ratting on the plate says 1.5 Hp 230 Volts 10.o Amps and S.F Max amps is 11.5. The other day when troubleshooting my problem I measure the amps on the blk & yellow and it was 11.5-11.8.

I asked you about that and you said thats the max for 1 1/2hp motor, all the pump info says should run @ 9.8 amps

Could this be my issue I am poping the Circuit breaker on the CB? Why would I be pulling 11.5 its a brand new Pump & motor

Wondering if this is my issue the load?? I have # 10 wire all way from Panel to well its 125-150 MAX from my house to well head and that maybe long and aprox 180-200 ft in well this is why I up sized the wire

could I have bad wires? The wire in the ground from my crawl to the well head is in 1 1/2 in PVC so its not direct buried I used the same wire I used in well
I bought 500" roll when I built the house so I figured I would just use same wire in pipe

Thanks again for youur help everyone

George

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
A 1.5 hp submersible pump motor will draw any where from 10 to 12amps.
If your pump is popping the reset, it's drawing more than 15amps. Most 1.5 hp resets are around 15amps. I would try a new capacitor.

Sometimes even on new boxes, the capacitor can have a bad connection on the top where the wires connect.

Its cheap and easy to change. Look at the cap where the wires attach, see if it look a little burned.

Do not touch the tabs on the cap!!! If it is good, it will have a high voltage charge.

If you have a cut wire, it should pop the reset every time it tries to start.

Travis

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks