Pump Start Relay / timer

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by dmathieu, Jun 26, 2008.

1. dmathieu

dmathieu New Member

I just put in drive point well for a future sprinkler system but I am not putting the sprinklers in this year. For now I would like to have a regular hose and sprinkler on a timer.

How can I get my pump to turn on automatically? Can I use a pump start relay and a sprinklers controller for now, or will that only work with valves?

Should I get a pressure tank?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.
    Dave
  2. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

With a point you are probably using a shallow well jet pump.

You can use a relay to start the pump. However, the easiest way is to use a pressure tank with a pressure switch. The pump will keep the tank pressurized and will start the pump when you start irrigating with hose or sprinkler system.

I suggest that you take care to match the pump and watering system so the pump runs continupusly when you are watering. Set the switch shutoff pressure to about 5 to 10 psi less than the shutoff pressure of the pump (experiment) and use a sprinkler on the end of the hose so it is not being shut off frequently.