pump specs

Users who are viewing this thread

emoque

Reaction score
I found an advertisement for a 3/4 hp submersible pump showing 13.8 gpm. It then goes on to say that it gests 11.1 gpm at 60 feet (tdh) and 50 psi, and 8.9 at 100 ft and 50 psi, and 2.7 gpm at a max depth of 175 feet with 50 psi. This made sense to me. The deeper the depth the fewer gpm.

Another advertisement shows a 1 hp pump with 20 gpm. But it shows it getting 24 gpm at 20 feet and 30-50 psi. Why did the gpm go up to 24? I would have expected it to go down like in the first advertisement? Is there a standard way in which to read these advertisements?

We are going to have a recovery and static level test next week to get final information, but I want to get a ball-park idea of what size pump to get in the meantime and an understanding of how this is determined. Current guess is that we have a 500 foot tdh and want 10 gpm. This is based on (estimates): well depth of 400 feet, static level of 300 feet, pump level at 360 feet, 6 inch well diameter, 7 gpm recovery rate, 1 1/2 baths in house, 2-story, 100 ft to well. We plan to have a 30/50 50-gallon or so pressure tank. If the estimates are roughly correct, how many hp and gpm pump do we need? Any suggestions are appreciated.

One other question: if we plan a 30/50 pressure tank, does that mean that the pump needs to get the water to that pressure tank with at least 50 psi pressure?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A 1 HP, 20 GPM will pump 24 GPM in a shallow well. However, it won't lift a drop from 300'. A 1 HP, 10 GPM pump will deliver about 7 GPM at 500' TDH. You are going to need a 2 HP, 10 GPM pump that will deliver 11 GPM from 500' TDH.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks