Pump shutting down opinons please

Users who are viewing this thread

adiapp

Reaction score
1st post - Well 85 ft, 30 years old. 2 pumps replaced already - last one about 12 years ago. Pump is a 220V 1 HP 2 wire submersible 4 inch. Every year at 1st start in the spring I hook up a hose and run it for 10 minutes - clear out any sand in the system . Pressure switch was 30 years old - points looked shot so I replaced switch today - did not change my issue.

220V pump - I turned it on it build 60 lbs pressure in 10 to 15 seconds and pump shuts off (points open). I open up the valve to my hose to run water the pump kicks back on at 50lbs pressure and runs back up to 60 quickly- note valve is still wide open running water out hose - after it ran back up to 60 on the gauge the pressure drops down to 50 and pump shuts off I mean off - points are still closed and power being sent to pump on both legs 120V but pump is not running - gauge goes down to zero. Nothing happens - about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes pump kicks on again and the whole scenario plays out again - If I were to hazard a guess it's a thermal overload because pump just shuts down - it is in cold water and probably cools quickly and after pumping for another minute or 2 shuts down again - at all times points are closed and power is going to pump. 2nd scenario is a low voltage issue which can cause a thermal overload up top at the pressure switch I have 120V at each wire feeding the pump

So I have 2 questions which scenario is more likely - bad motor or wiring. I have to pull pump up 85 feet - which is the best way to check the voltage - cut wires at but connectors and measure voltage - I read if it's 5 to 10% less that 120 on a leg it could be low voltage high amperage draw causing a thermal overload. Any wiz here have an opinion ?

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
#1 waterlogged or bad tank
#2 waterlogged tank allowed pump to cycle rapidly for an extended period of time
#3 rapid cycling destroyed the motor causing the motor to over amp (overheat). Motor now tripping built in overloads.
#4 1-hp pump most likely too big. Go back with a 1/2 hp 10 gpm

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ohm test each leg to ground to see if you have leakage.
Use an amp meter to see what it's drawing.

I expect you'll be pulling a pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks