pump runs continuously when using water

Users who are viewing this thread

maitai

Reaction score
I have a Sears 1/3hp convertible jet pump and Homart tank, and have a shallow well. When using water the pump never shuts off; pressure stays at 45# at the pump and 55# on the tank. The water will fluctuate high/low. When I turn the pump off the pressure still stays at 45# until I open a water line then it goes to 25#. I turn the pump back on and it will click on immediately and build back up to 45# within a few seconds and hold there. I have no leaks and tank holds steady pressure. I've run out of things to check.

maitai

Reaction score
I read about waterlogged tanks and how to drain them and put air back into it. Thought maybe that was the problem but when I tried to drain the water out I only got about a quart of water which I thought was odd and also I can't find an air valve on it anyplace. The pump and tank were in the house when we bought it in 1975, but we've never had a problem with it till now. Luckily we only use it for outside water! Now let me ask another question if I continue to use it will the pump burn out by letting it run while I'm using the hose; like when I wash my car?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Do you know if it is a bladder tank or a non-bladder tank? Are there any identifying markings? Posting pictures of your system might help.

If the tank is waterlogged the pump will cycle every time you run the water for a short period. It's pretty much the same thing as operating the system with no pressure tank.
This will decrease the life of the pump greatly.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Everything is OK, it won't hurt your pump to run constantly while using water through a hose. With a 1/3 hp shallow lift (1 pipe suction) I'm not surprised that the pressure drops to 25#. If the pump cut off before but does not now I suspect that the water table has dropped enough disallowing the pump to build pressure enough to pump to the pump cutoff setting of the pressure switch. I suggest that you lower the cutoff pressure to a lower pressure. To do this, while the pump is running with the water outlet (hose) off, turn the long screw on the pressure switch counter clockwise slowly until the pump cuts off automatically. Now the pump will come on when you use water and it will cut off automatically shortly after you stop using water.

ALSO: I suspect by your description (and age of the system) your pressure tank is a non bladder tank. Also since it was only used for irrigation I doubt that it had an air volume control on the pump. Therefore by your description I doubt if there is a schrader valve (tire valve) on the tank to remove the excess water from the tank. RECOMMENDATION: If there is a 1-1/2" pipe plug 2/3 way from the bottom and on the side of the tank, remove the plug and replace it with a 1-1/2" by 1/4' pipe bushing and install a schrader valve (tire valve). Unplug the pump, drain off all water, then with an air tank or portable air compressor add air to the schrader valve until all water is expelled through the open garden hose. Once air comes out the hose, turn off the garden hose, turn on the pump and it will build air pressure in the top of the tank. This will last for months befor needing to do it again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks