Pump recommendation for drip tape

Users who are viewing this thread

Danslo

Reaction score
I searched the forum and found a thread related to mine at
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/pump-for-a-small-scale-drip-irrigation-system.62439/

I am looking for a pump that will supply 30-50 psi to an irrigation valve for drip tape manifold. I am anticipating 2-4 gpm. My water source is a 4' tall 330 gallon tank. Im having a difficult time locating a submersible pump that can meet these requirements. A 1/2 hp external cast iron jet pump is what I was recommended, I'm not sure if this is the best choice and I'm not sure if I need a pressure tank for it. Also what would be the priming issues, if any, I would experience if using a jet pump?
Thanks for the feedback!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
30/50 PSI sounds like a lot for drip tape. Mine runs on a 15 PSI regulator. Any jet pump or small submersible can easily run as little as 1 GPM without problems. With a sub you don't have to worry about priming. A pressure tank/pressure switch just makes the pump come on and go off automatically when water is needed. A CSV will hold steady pressure to the drip, adjust pump output to match the amount being used (2-4 GPM), and keep the pump from cycling itself to death when using a pressure tank. But the CSV can also be used without a pressure tank/pressure switch if your pump is turned on by a pump start relay in the irrigation controller.

Danslo

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply,
I plan on running each manifold w a 10 psi regulator, the reason for the higher psi was to properly activate the irrigation valves. They don't operate well with the low psi from my sump pump(4-5psi at the end of the drip tape). The pump start relay with csv is a great idea, thanks for all your help valveman, much appreciated!
The priming shouldnt be an issue once it has been primed and I don't get air in the suction line correct?

30/50 PSI sounds like a lot for drip tape. Mine runs on a 15 PSI regulator. Any jet pump or small submersible can easily run as little as 1 GPM without problems. With a sub you don't have to worry about priming. A pressure tank/pressure switch just makes the pump come on and go off automatically when water is needed. A CSV will hold steady pressure to the drip, adjust pump output to match the amount being used (2-4 GPM), and keep the pump from cycling itself to death when using a pressure tank. But the CSV can also be used without a pressure tank/pressure switch if your pump is turned on by a pump start relay in the irrigation controller.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks