Pump Question

Users who are viewing this thread

S Fields

Reaction score
Some of you may have read my post about the sulfur situation. I bought a LaMotte sulfur test kit and it is between 18 - 20ppm at the well and 5ppm at the faucet after going through peroxide and carbon. My wife and I have about decided to go a separate route, because we're afraid the high sulfur content is going to continue causing us problems.

There's a natural spring that is approx 200 ft from the house in the edge of the woods. We found this after the well was drilled, and believe it was the water source for the house that was previously on this land. There's a 2ft x 2ft square concrete casing down where the spring is at. It sticks up about a foot above ground, and the water level is about 6" down from the top. I got post hole diggers and dug mud and debris out to about 4 ft deep before hitting what "feels" to be a rock bed. I got a 5 gallon bucket and dumped about 80 gallons of water out, trying to get closer to the bottom. It filled all the way back up in 4 minutes. It appears to have a very good source feeding it.

We're thinking about using this as our water source and bypassing the "the well from hell" completely. Its approx. 200ft from the house (horizontally) and about 10 - 12ft below the house level (vertically), counting the sloped landscape.

What kind of pump should we be looking into, if we go this route? Where would it need to be placed?

Thanks for any advice!

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do yo mean for your drinking water and such? A ground water well like that was probably abandoned because of the constant fear and possibility of contamination both chemical and biological.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Even if you are not drinking it you would still have it piped into the house where perhaps the next owners would not be conscious of any contamination or the future possibilities of contamination. Check with your local or state agency and see if it's even legal because around here it ain't. It's a bad idea. Too be sure, you would have to test it a half dozen times a year or more. Yo have no idea what may wash down from upstream.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Given that the water level in the casing is higher than the ground suggests that it is spring fed from a depth, but the fact that it filled up with mud suggests it is not sealed well enough and that surface water is getting in at times. The mud also suggests that the spring does not always flow and that at times surface water is draining into it.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
PUMP or siphon the spring for a week, flush it out, make a bug proof cap, and THEN test. You can even run it through your peroxide boon-doggle, and perhaps polish it up. It might become the best drinking water in the neighborhood.

You can run it through a UV set up and easily make it drinkable if some contamination remains.

If higher than the house, the pump can be at the house, but better to put a small submersible in the tank, or better yet get a backhoe and a guy that knows springs and install a quality pick up spot.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
KISS (Keep it simple stupid). It appears to be a spring that filled in for some reason? Since it recovers fast I'd install a submersible pump in the well, the pumps intake will be about 12" to 16" from the well bottom. Seal the well at the top and run the line and electric wire to the tank and pressure switch in some protected place in or near the house. To make an even better system install a Cycle Stop Valve between the pump and the pressure switch and tank. Chlorinate the well and pump system and then have it tested for coliform bacteria if you like. As Tom suggests, you may want to
check with your local or state agency and see if it's legal
to have this type of set up!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks