Pump pressure issues

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Truelight, May 21, 2013.

1. Truelight

Truelight New Member

Facts: low pressure 20 psi. We had water logged
    pressure tank. Changed tank. Water has not gone
    into tank. Still only 20 psi. Did not install check
    valve. We have a submersible pump. If I turn off
    power to pump pressure holds at 20. If I leave
    power on but close the shut off valve after guage,
    pressure stays at 20. Do you have any ideas?
    Should I have put in a check valve? Thanks
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

A checkvalve won't help. Do you know if there are any checkvalves between the pump and the tank besides the one on the pump? If there are any, they could mask a leak.
  3. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

Make sure the gauge is good!
  4. Truelight

Truelight New Member

Ok so I think I might have a leak between my well pump and house. At the well house I have 2 faucets, 1 on either side of what I think is a check valve. In my basement I have a shut off. My pump runs continually at 20 psi. How can I test to see if there is a leak?
  5. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

As long as the gauge is good, when the pump is off, if the pressure just stays at 20, you don't have a leak. At least you don't have a leak on this side of the check valve. Sometimes you can have a leak in the little nipple between the pump and the check valve. That leak you won't see until you pull the pump.