Pump not shutting off .........

Users who are viewing this thread

PeakXV

Reaction score
Pump not shutting off ............

Before I call the plumber, just thought I'd run the symptoms by the experts here! :D

The pump has been taking longer & longer(minutes of time) to reach shutoff pressure over the last week. Today it will not shutoff at all, although the gauge is showing that the pressure is hovering/reaching 40psi. The pump is a Franklin - 1103012452 1/2 HP with Gould Pumptrol on-20 off-40. The pump sounds normal/routine when running!:confused: Thanks for any suggestions/comments.:)

Last edited:

Raucina

Reaction score
call the water well - pump guy, NOT a plumber. Try to turn down the shut off pressure to 30. be sure no water is being used - allow it to turn off at 30. see if the pump holds pressure when all the taps are shut off. If no, you have a leak or a bad check valve. Must be a submersible? Franklin must be the motor, not the pump head.

Dont allow the guy to pull or replace the pump until he has tested the amp draw and ohm readings to the MFG's specs. If he doesnt have an ohmmeter and ammeter with him, send him home.... And again - plumbers dont usually carry volt-ohm meters with them or know which end of them is up. If its a Franklin 1/2 hp motor, the specs are available anywhere, they give a range of readings for new install, old re-useable, junk it. Voodoo need not apply.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Franklin does make a jet pump motor, and Goulds makes both kinds of pumps, sub and jet. So is this a jet pump? You mentioned it sounds right, that makes me think it's a jet.

The fact that it takes longer would indicate the pump can't get the water it would like (well problem). But not making shutoff pressure sounds like a water level problem. Are you having a draught?

bob...

PeakXV

Reaction score
It's a Gould Pump J05N - attached to the motor. There appears to be no leak as the pressure gauge holds at 40 psi and plenty of normal colored water ... it has been very dry here so that may well (no pun intended) be the reason. As I had mentioned the condition had gotten progressively(pump/motor laboring harder) worse over the last week. There is suppose to be a good rain tonight so if it is a water level problem - it should rectify itself!?

I am not sure what the pressure turn on/off was set at but inside the pumptrol box it states 20/40 .... and it appears to be attaining 40.

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
There appears to be no leak as the pressure gauge holds at 40 psi and plenty of normal colored water ...

Colored water? Is this normal what you get? What color?

If the gauge holds at 40 you should replace it with one that moves.

bob...

PeakXV

Reaction score
I mean the water looks like normal water. I was thinking if the well was low the water might start to attain a brown tinge to it - which is clearly not the case. The pressure gauge reaches 40 and stops and holds as the pump does it's thing , however if I drain water it lowers accordingly ... so it appears to function properly.

R

Rancher

PeakXV said:
. There is suppose to be a good rain tonight so if it is a water level problem - it should rectify itself!?QUOTE]

Good Luck on your rain it takes months to perk down to where your aquaifer is to make a difference, mine lags about 8 months after serious rain or snow fall.

Rancher

Raucina

Reaction score
If the rain brings up the well water level overnight, then probably flushing your toilet repeatedly would do the same thing. Better have your water tested pronto - or go out and buy a lot of spinich and see how your body reacts to E-coli flavoring.

PeakXV

Reaction score
Raucina said:
If the rain brings up the well water level overnight, then probably flushing your toilet repeatedly would do the same thing. Better have your water tested pronto - or go out and buy a lot of spinich and see how your body reacts to E-coli flavoring.

Thanks!!!!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks