pump motor overheating fast

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Randall59, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Randall59

Randall59 New Member

I just installed an older Myers 'Ejecto' pump driven by a 1/2hp GE motor. When turned on while still cool it only runs for about 2 to 3 minutes before it gets very hot and the 'thermally protected' motor shuts off ( the pump pressure switch is still in the on position ). It stays off for about 5 minutes and then it automatically comes back on but as it is still quite warm, it only runs for 30 seconds or so before turning off again. I'm guessing that it has something to do with worn brushes in the motor or something similar. Can I fix this ?
    Thanks.
  2. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

Motor needs to be water cooled[submersible]?
    Shorted winding causing overheating?
    Pump bearing worn and causing too much friction?

Check your voltage across and current through the motor. I don't see how motor brushes could cause this.

This link courtesy of another member
    http://www.franklin-electric.com/business/WaterSystems/service/AIM/page-46.aspx
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  3. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

1/2 HP GE motor? I am guessing it is air cooled. Do you have it wired 115 volt and it is set up for 240V?
  4. Randall59

Randall59 New Member

Here is the pump and motor

Attached Files:

• pump.jpg
      pump.jpg
      File size:
      74.2 KB
      Views:
  5. Randall59

Randall59 New Member

It came wired for regular electric plug-in, and is the same set-up as my last pump.
    Also, are the motors interchangeable ? I have the old pump which is a Jaccuzzi with a 1/2hp Franklin Electric motor.
  6. valveman

Pull the end cap off the motor and check voltage setting. I still bet it is wired for 230 volt and you are plugging into 115 volt.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

wiring

If it were a factory wired cord, then there would be little doubt that the motor was wired for 120 v. But that is a field cord installation so the actual wired should be verified. Bad bearings, rusted volute dragging on the impeller, or wrong voltage will all cause the problem.
  8. Randall59

Randall59 New Member

BINGO!!!
    There was a small 'pull out, turn, push in' hi and low power setting button. I set it to low power and it works perfect.
    You guys are AWESOME!
    Thanks much.
    [​IMG]
  9. valveman

I brought this thread back up because some people may not know that pumps can run on half voltage. I have had 240V well pumps that electricians wired up to 115V after I was gone, that ran for a year that way before I happened to find it on a service call. Some will actully pump pretty good pressure, and not trip the overload.
  10. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

115v should give a little more than 1/4th the power and 1/2 the current of 240v because the motor will try to draw more current to meet the demand. They should give about 1/4th the GPM or the pressure, assuming the efficiency is the same, which it almost certainly is not.

Do you think this low voltage shortened the life of the motor?
  11. valveman

Probably but it ran for many more years after switching it back to 240V. It seemed like it was doing about 1/2 what it should on the 115V.